Sign in to follow this  
high rise hunter

Southern AZ Weather Expectations

Ducks are pretty easy to locate in AZ compared to the Midwest ;).

I'd LOVE to bag a Cinnamon Teal. Besides a big fully plumed ol' drake Canvasback that might be the highest up on my list.

I'm part of tiny duck camp out in western Minnesota (Detroit Lakes area) and we do pretty well. We shoot limits every other day. On the other hand, my father in central WI said he didn't even go out this season there were so few ducks migrating though. Tough hunting.

Fellas - just got back to the concrete jungle after a kick *ss 6.5 days of running around the AZ desert chasing coues! I didn't fill my tag but had a truly awesome time exploring new territory and learning a new species. I started my hunt backpacking up into Unit 33. Beautiful country, saw lots of deer but I came to find out the weather can switch QUICKLY. Camped on top of the mountain I got destroyed by overnight 40 mph winds and downpour rain. Having gotten zero sleep and my gear (including tent and quilt) soaked I comically had to hike out the next morning. A blessing and a curse I got a hotel room in Tucson to dry out. The next day I hunted off Redington Road and immediately got on a couple of rutting bucks but never eclipsed that 190 yard mark. Having really no game plan at this point I did a complete 180 and decide for my final two days I would explore some new territory up in Unit 23. I backpacked 6 miles into the wilderness there. I found a cool solo bull in total recovery mode and a decent amount of coues deer. I should have filled my tag but a lapse in mental judgement was my downfall. I was glassing and decided I wanted to pop over the top of the hill to look down the other side. I debated if I should bring my bow or not but thought "Eh, if I see something it's likely to be a LONG ways off" so I left my bow with my pack. Of course while walking over to the other side I noticed the top of a deer's back 40 yards in front of me. Having no idea I was there this coues buck feeds to 30 yards standing broadside for 5 minutes before bedding down 25 yards from where I stood. Would have been a chip shot but that's the way it goes! So neat to see one that incredibly close and something I will not forget anytime soon! Well I'm officially hooked and will 100% be back next January or maybe even for a December hunt since I can use the same tag.

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice!

Joe

• Like 4

high rise hunter

"mental lapse in judgment"...yea, that has to hurt. when the bucks are right under us, and we are not ready; we get up to move to switch ambush site to the other side of the wash and the buck is right there coming in, all those things will wake a hunter up the next morning.

sounds like you will be back.

high rise hunter

"mental lapse in judgment"...yea, that has to hurt. when the bucks are right under us, and we are not ready; we get up to move to switch ambush site to the other side of the wash and the buck is right there coming in, all those things will wake a hunter up the next morning.

sounds like you will be back.

I want to book to flight and head back down there YESTERDAY for a shot at redemption. I've been thinking a lot about how much fun I had and what a wonderful experience the trip/hunt was. Also, I had my bow with me 99% of the time and somehow it was during that 1% I didn't THAT I was given an opportunity to fill my tag. :rolleyes:

I'd LOVE to bag a Cinnamon Teal. Besides a big fully plumed ol' drake Canvasback that might be the highest up on my list.

I'm part of tiny duck camp out in western Minnesota (Detroit Lakes area) and we do pretty well. We shoot limits every other day. On the other hand, my father in central WI said he didn't even go out this season there were so few ducks migrating though. Tough hunting.

Went to check a pond that doesnt see anyone almost ever. There have been two buffleheads hanging out there but yesterday there was a cinnamon teal. pretty cool looking duck!

Went to check a pond that doesnt see anyone almost ever. There have been two buffleheads hanging out there but yesterday there was a cinnamon teal. pretty cool looking duck!

No way! I bet that was really neat! I had brought a shotgun with but ended up far too obsessed with the coues that I never did find time to chase that Cinnamon teal.

Did you harvest the teal or were just scouting?

just out riding and looking. I wanted to make sure the bufflehead were still there. I am tempted to sneak up on them haha. Its a 3 hour drive from the house so I dont know when Ill get out there again.

• Like 1