bigsky2

Javelina Hunting Questions

If you let us know what unit you drew we might be able to point you in a few good area's to start looking.

And get a j-13 call. That thing is amazing! Ive called in herds of 20+ from quite a distance. YouTube it so you know what it should sound like.

Think baby pig squealing.

• Like 1

this is for any game animal ::

just because you wear plastic/rubber gloves doesnt mean you wont spread contamination.

like stated above - hang(if possible) - skin out avoid touching or any contact with meat - especialy after holding / grabbing leg - hide etc. gut- etc.

if u debone in field - change glove s and/or wash hands - clean resharpen knife -

I spread out my pocket poncho to lay chunks meat - put clean meat in game bags and then on ice

if in ice chest open drain plug !!

• Like 1

J-13 never worked for me.....at all.

Here Javelinahunter.com

This is a very good resource however I disagree with this statement;

Besides finding suitable habitat, the greatest limiting factor for Javelina expansion into new areas in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and beyond, is climate. Javelina have no under fur, so they cannot survive winter in a cold climate.

I have seen them in the snow in Prescott and it gets pretty cold around Williams.

We have a few herds here in Flagstaff that have become residents. Last January, I had a pic sen to me of two big sows standing outside the main door to the Flagstaff Arboretum when we had 3+ feet of snow. I have a trusted biologist friend who has seen them in the aspens on Mt. Eldon, too!

• Like 1

I have run into them multiple times in 7E in December on the cow hunts. They are at the lower elevations of the unit when I see them, but it is still cold and they are still there. One herd had a chubby little dude bringing up the tail end of the herd when we ran them off.

Thank you to everyone that gave me good info. I ended up spotting a group of javelinas the first morning of my hunt. While I was stalking them they bedded down for the day so I got in close and blew on my javelina call and they came charging in to where I was able to get a shot on one. I spent the next three days hunting deer. Those Coues are an awesome animal. I had a few opportunities at nice bucks but wasn't able to make it happen. I will definitely be back, it was nice to be camped in the desert while it was -20 degrees at home!

• Like 5

Yes I did. My dad had been sitting back and watching the show, but since the pigs were focused on me after I called them in he was able to sneak in and get one too. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on javelin meat but I got a couple recipes from Hank Shaw and am determined to make something tasty out of them.

Yes I did. My dad had been sitting back and watching the show, but since the pigs were focused on me after I called them in he was able to sneak in and get one too. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on javelin meat but I got a couple recipes from Hank Shaw and am determined to make something tasty out of them.

Brine it in a 5 gallon bucket with 2 cups of salt and two bags of ice then repeat after 6 hours. Then put it in the fridge for 4-5 days. Keep it suspended so it's not sitting in it's own blood and drain the blood daily.

no reason - if its clean ---NON CONTAMINATED _ meat - that you can't cook it like you do any other kinda meat !

guarantee people won't/can't tell the difference

Agreed. Javelina meat if handled properly needs no special treatment before preparing. Like others have detailed just do not cross contaminate outside to inside and the meat is as good as any lean pork.

• Like 2