1uglydude

Highs and Lows - Life stops for life-threatening illnesses

Great to hear, I bet this weekend will be a pretty special time for you! Good luck!

I missed this post and as I read through it, my heart sank for you and your family. As a father of two girls, it is easy to feel your pain. Not to mention one of god daughters is named Gabi. Praying that she gets stronger every day. I am glad that she is back at school and can be around her friends, that is so good for the soul. Best of luck to her and her friend on the javelina hunt.

Someone PM'd me asking for an update. It took a few months, but she has finally gained back all of the weight she lost. Honestly, she seems to feel perfectly normal in every way, which is really a miracle. Things could have been so much worse in so many ways.

When we took her on the youth javelina hunt two weeks removed from the hospital she was no where near being back to normal. She tired after walking only a few hundred yards. Thankfully, the folks at Youth Outdoors Unlimited too her under their wing and made sure we were hooked up with the right folks to find pigs that she could access without too much effort. She got her first javelina on opening morning, but it took just about everything she had.

In early April she had her first scan and follow up appointment with the oncologist. So far, everything is clear. They want to do quarterly scans for three years, so she's still got a way to go before she can be called "cured." The oncologist explained that because she lost half of her pancreas, they are as concerned about the pancreas healing as they are about the cancer returning. Apparently the pancreas will take several years just to heal up in the areas that have sutures.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and we took a trip to Universal Studios. She bounced and ran and jumped and squealed the whole time. We were there when they opened the gates and they closed the gates behind us. I was dragging, but she could have gone all night. It was a wonderful sight.

I have attached a photo of her javelina and one from April when she showed her lamb at the Maricopa County Fair.

post-645-0-47783900-1527120685_thumb.jpgpost-645-0-29140500-1527121207_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

It was really great spending time and helping out on the one day pig hunt! Gabbi did awesome to get the shot and then get back to the ranger! Super happy for her! Sorry I missed you guys on the turkey hunt, work just wouldn't let me leave but you were in good hands with Keith, who is a good friend of mine! I'm glad to hear Gabbi is doing good and hopefully we will get to hunt together on another jr hunt. God bless, Eric

• Like 1

Praise the Lord for the healing that has taken place and what is still to come. I am so happy that your little girl is doing well.