Sign in to follow this  
Edge

If you could design your own?

As I tinker away in my shop making knives for friends and family for Christmas..

I realized I've neglected making one for myself.

If you could only carry one knife into the field, what would it be?post-11051-0-64572100-1513029070_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Only one knife? Now I know for a fact you are loco. If I had it and could only carry one knife I would carry my dad's k-bar I think. Looks like a buck 119 but has stacked leather for the handle. It is old and worn but still takes a razors edge and keeps it.

• Like 3

swiss army knife The real ones, cause it can go anything. might be slow but the best emergency knife around.

but a real knife have to agree with sparky my dads K-bar from vietnam. he gave it to me back in the early 70's cause he had others and abused the crap out of it and I still have it and the others today.

Only one knife? Now I know for a fact you are loco. If I had it and could only carry one knife I would carry my dad's k-bar I think. Looks like a buck 119 but has stacked leather for the handle. It is old and worn but still takes a razors edge and keeps it.

Interesting, when I was about 12, dad and I was looking around in the Cash box Pawn in Tucson. My birthday was coming up and I told my dad I had to have that biggest baddest Kbar in the display case. It was a Bowie style with stacked leather handle.
  • Like 1

My dad's K-bar is a skinner from the early 60's late 50's. I will have to ask him when he got it but I know it has Made in the U.S.A stamped on it.

A small fixed caping blade with a large gap gut hook

Going to have to agree with the gut hook. Has anyone found a simple way to sharpen the hook?
  • Like 1

Going to have to agree with the gut hook. Has anyone found a simple way to sharpen the hook?
nope. Lol

But I’ve found that mine is used for only a few cuts per animal and seems to keep for a while longer that a normal edge.

• Like 2

I really like my Alaskan Knives elk hunter, the drop point with a 4" fixed blade, full tang and bright orange handle is a combo that I really like. I've used it to cut branches for work, clear minor brush, gut and skin game, I think it takes an edge well and retains it. just my $.02

A large case stockman or a case 2 blade Hunter. Them are the only 2 knives I vary if it was just one it would be the stockman

nope. Lol

But I’ve found that mine is used for only a few cuts per animal and seems to keep for a while longer that a normal edge.

Tim, I tend to use mine often for cutting cordage and leather strings. I found a chainsaw blade sharpener out in the shop that just put a nice edge on the hook. I think I picked it up at Home Depot ages ago.