Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Great grandparents hunting photos

About a year before my Grandpa died, I asked him to get his old hunting pictures out reminisce over them and write a little story about some of them. However he never did I really wish you would have that would have been something great to put together for myself and my cousins and show my kids.

• Like 2

yeah, my great grandfather died 4 years before i was born, so i have limited info about these hunts, but my grandfather, who died about 10 years ago, did include these pictures in his book of memoirs.

He did tell me one hunting story.

Back then, food was scarce, as it was the great depression, and hence wild game was scarce, too. Pronghorn were on the "do not hunt" list due to endangered populations. But one day, out on the range, a speed goat showed up. Needing food, my grandfather shot him, and took him home for dinner.

When asked what he would have done if someone showed up to witness the event, he replied, "I would have waved them around."

Upon further questioning, the person asked what he would have done if they didn't go around. He replied, "They had BETTER go around."

He was not an Arizona native, but a Texan. He moved here in 1915 after selling his blacksmith shop in Sanco, Texas. He grew up in the post civil war era, and knew his way around a gunfight really well.

This was the great grandfather who's hunting rifle i inherited, as mentioned in a previous topic.

• Like 1

I used to do a lot of hunting in 1 & 27 and came across a number of old log cabins over the years. I wondered what life was like for those who had lived in them. Thanks for sharing the photos.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 5:46 PM, 300RUM said:

I used to do a lot of hunting in 1 & 27 and came across a number of old log cabins over the years. I wondered what life was like for those who had lived in them. Thanks for sharing the photos.

When my grandpa was a kid, he drove cattle from spingerville to Magdalena, unsupported. He was a rodeo cowboy, pro boxer, enlisted in the military in WW2, and traveling evangelist that drilled wells on the side.

His dad, (great grandpa) was a post civil war era gunslinger. His uncle had been murdered by CC Slaughter, predecessor of the famed Texas John Slaughter. He turned his life to vengeance and turned his guns to the Slaughters. After years of the hard life of vengeance, he became a Christian and put his gun in his holster. He sold his backsmith shop in Sanco, Texas in 1915 and bought a ranch in Springerville, when my grandfather was 5 years old. They lost the ranch in the depression when the bottom fell out of the cattle market and they couldn't make the mortgage. They then turned to drilling wells, mostly in southern AZ.

• Like 1