Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

Late season tactics

I drew the late season tag fr 8 & 10. This is my 2nd year hunting turkey, but my 1st time trying to hunt them after they have gone quiet.

I imagine sitting water holes is probably the best bet for the later season, but I don't know that for sure.

What tactics work well in the later season?

Hate to say it but driving around is probably the most "effective" approach. Personally, I like still hunting - hiking, listening, looking. While doing this for deer this year in NM I was surprised to find myself right in the middle of a bunch of turkey. Had it been a turkey hunt, it would have been awesome, but for effectiveness, I'd call it a low-probability approach, but super fun if it does come together.

For 2018 the late season runs May 4 - May 24

The past year, the early season was at the back end of the gobbling.

Coach, that's a good way to look at it I reckon.

I hunt the 2nd season the same as I do the first. I cover a lot of ground while doing a lot of calling. I've had some very hot birds come in on a string during the 2nd season. Sitting a good water hole is another very effective way to get a bird. However you decide to hunt you need to be in an area that holds birds. Good scouting will tell you where to concentrate your efforts.

• Like 4

I hunt the 2nd season the same as I do the first. I cover a lot of ground while doing a lot of calling. I've had some very hot birds come in on a string during the 2nd season. Sitting a good water hole is another very effective way to get a bird. However you decide to hunt you need to be in an area that holds birds. Good scouting will tell you where to concentrate your efforts.

That right there. I never change it up. You get many toms that will run to a still hot hen (sounding, anyway) since many of their hens are nesting. Sometimes, later is better. My biggest recommendation beyond what Big Browns says is to have an arsenal of calls. Many times, they've heard it all, so you need to find something they haven't heard if they've been pressured. I love wingbone calls for that very reason!

• Like 1

One of my favorite times to hunt is the end of the season. We called in three toms including this huge tom at separate times throughout the day on the last day of 2017 spring hunt.

post-13284-0-00016500-1515092894.jpg

• Like 3

One of my favorite times to hunt is the end of the season. We called in three toms including this huge tom at separate times throughout the day on the last day of 2017 spring hunt.

attachicon.gifIMG952129.jpg

Show off!

• Like 1

only "5 solid days" so far glad you're keeping track because i forgot to write it down it will take a lot more then 5 days to get me to call a bird in for you.

• Like 1

When you call do they always answer before they come or do they come in silently sometimes

When you call do they always answer before they come or do they come in silently sometimes

I would say in the late season more times then not they will be gobbling when they come in however this last spring on the last day the first bird I called in came in silent and from behind us the only reason I knew it was even there was the hen started putting after she caught use moving.

• Like 1