couesdeerhntr

Freezing velvet question

I leave them about 6-8months and then take a pin, make little holes in the tips of the antlers, hang upside down and let any moisture drip out of tips. Leave them that way until everything feels dry. Have some over ten years old that look great till this day.

Brian

• Like 1

I killed my first mule deer ever in 2009. It was just a small two point in velvet. I didn't know what I wanted to do with it so I threw it in the freezer (chest Style) and forgot about it. It stayed in the freezer for about a year but I never did anything other than wrap it in plastic bags and tape it up tight. The Velvet still looks as good today all the day I threw it in the freezer. Never had any issues with slippage or any smells.

Are the chest freezers you are putting them in NON-frost fee (in other words, ice builds-up on the inside and you have to chip it off or defrost it once a year or so)? Or are they frost free like the freezer on your refrigerator?

Mine is a chest freezer in garage that does get ice buildup stickflicker. And i got one more question do you guys recommend removing antlers before boil or u think i can do it without the removal and glue back?