Sign in to follow this  
Sea 2'er

2nd Choice Anterless Elk Draw Question

I might be getting lazy, but trying to keep several states draw process' straight is confusing. So here's a what if:

What if I applied in this years draw for an Archery Bull Tag as my 1st choice. Then I apply for an antlerless hunt for 2nd and 3rd:

If I draw the 2nd (or 3rd) choice Cow Tag, would I loose my points?

How can I figure the draw odds for an anterless hunt (Regs are useless) ?

Just looking to put some meat in the freezer this year, but dont want to burn all my points for an anterless hunt. Any strategies?

Thanks

Bob

If you draw you lose your points, period. You just need to decide what you want, bull or cow. There's websites you can join to calculate your odds. Hunters trailhead is one not sure the others, also not sure how much it cost. What unit are you looking at and how many points you got? Maybe someone will run the numbers for you. Also game and fish has an informative video on how the draw works. It's probably also on YouTube.

yeah thats what I thought, loose points if drawn. I couldnt find that info in this years regs. Appreciate that.

yeah thats what I thought, loose points if drawn. I couldnt find that info in this years regs. Appreciate that.

Tell me what cow hunt you want and I can get a general idea of the odds of drawing it but as mentioned you would lose your points. As a NR I would say using points on a cow isn't your best bet. You're two years away from that 6a early bull tag might as well wait.

Yup.

Save your points for a bull and look for a leftover cow tag.

Wait a sec.........go ahead use your points, less competition for me.

Lol

Tell me what cow hunt you want and I can get a general idea of the odds of drawing it but as mentioned you would lose your points. As a NR I would say using points on a cow isn't your best bet. You're two years away from that 6a early bull tag might as well wait.

Definitely holding on to my points for AZ, want that 6A or 5BS tag.

Putting a third choice on an elk app is pretty much a waste of time. Definitely a waste of any points.

Not a waste of time if younwant to get drawn and just want meat in the freezer like he said but def a waste of points if you have em.

OP you have to decide which you want. Meat hunt or build BPs. Cant have both. Ive gotten drawn several times on 2-3 choices but will only happen on limited op hunts.

Putting a third choice on an elk app is pretty much a waste of time. Definitely a waste of any points.

Not a waste of time if younwant to get drawn and just want meat in the freezer like he said but def a waste of points if you have em.

OP you have to decide which you want. Meat hunt or build BPs. Cant have both. Ive gotten drawn several times on 2-3 choices but will only happen on limited op hunts.

drawing a tag on a 2md choice is a whole different ballgame than drawing a tag on a 3rd choice. Only the worst of the worst hunts get drawn on 3-5th choices.

drawing a tag on a 2md choice is a whole different ballgame than drawing a tag on a 3rd choice. Only the worst of the worst hunts get drawn on 3-5th choices.

Yes thank you. This was my point. Nothing to do with meat. Only way you are drawing your third choice is if you put in for the worst of the worst hunts. You won't draw a decent cow hunt as a third choice. Also, a large percentage of the hunts you would draw on your third choice could have been picked up as left over tags. Thus saving your old points and the new one you would have gotten for the current year.

This was my point. Nothing to do with meat. Only way you are drawing your third choice is if you put in for the worst of the worst hunts. You won't draw a decent cow hunt as a third choice.

Hence the limited op hunts I said you would only get. I guess I should say theyre hunts, not meat hunts. Theyre tough but Ive filled a few of those tags.