Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Rattle, grunt or bleat?

Not quite full rut yet down here yet but we spotted a big boy I want to try n get my wife on tonight. I've always hesitated on using these for fear it will have the wrong reaction or I will do it wrong and send deer the other direction. Hoping to set up where I think he will come from and try and get him to come towards me and try to set the wife up for a broadside shot. Which one would you use? I think we are a week or slightly more out for full on rut.

Any links to good videos with good coeuse grunts and bleats?

Also my rattle bag and grunt tubes are more for eastern wt which is part of my hesitation. Scared it will give the wrong tone. I did grunt this morning on a smaller 2x3 and it brought in a doe and the buck. Which I missed shortly thereafter.

I watched a buddy rattle in a lone buck on year, worked like a charm and brought him in on a string. I tried the next day on a buck with a doe and had the opposite effect.

• Like 1

You're probably already aware of this but be mindful of the direction you face when using the call regardless of which one you go with. I've made the mistake a couple times of facing it toward where I see or anticipate a buck might be and since I was sloppy he got a good read on where the sound came from and I spooked him and he either stopped and continued on after investigating from where he was or just kept on going even though I know he heard it based on the way his ears moved. I have to remind myself to turn over my shoulder before I let out a grunt or bleat but I also take a look over that shoulder to make sure one hasn't ninja'd up on me while I wasn't looking.

Also it can come down to the mood the particular buck is in. Just this fall in the midwest I grunted at a nice buck that was cruising by about 80 yards out. No effect. Before he got too far out of sight I snort wheezed at him and that got him to turn and nearly walk into my shooting lanes before moving out and around through a creek bed. But if you're getting them coming in it's probably a good sign. I'm up in Tucson so not too far away from you. I couldn't get out this weekend but over New Year weekend there wasn't much rut activity yet either. I can't wait for it to pick up. Should be fun. Just hoping to get a couple shot opportunities.

Heck those calls don't always work so well on eastern deer! It's all the mood of the deer and the situation. You'll never pull a buck off a hot doe, or one with his nose to the ground trailing one. A grunt may call in a buck one day, but most of the time they ignore it. If they responded to every grunt they hear they would be running in circles all day. Grunt at a buck with a doe nearby and she may run taking the buck with her. And I have never called in a buck with a can call, the only deer to respond have been does and everyone was on high alert!

• Like 1

Alittle ratle and then a grunt brought a coues in trotting at me ,very quick to. Be ready always.....Good luck.....BOB!