Sign in to follow this  
Countryboy22

Need help on where to start looking for desert bucks!

I recently moved down to the Phoenix area from the white mountains. I know a lot of country and areas to hunt up in the high country, but all this desert stuff is new to me. I am looking for some pointers on where to start learning more about these desert bucks and where to find them. Im more than willing to put in the work and miles just need a starting point. Also I'm not looking for anyones special spots just trying to get an idea of how to hunt these desert bucks. I live out in the west valley area. I have been doing some research on unit 22 and I'm somewhat familiar with the northern portion of 23 but none of the lower stuff. I have also heard good things about the seven springs area out north of cave creek. I was also curious if the areas north of lake pleasant are very promising. Anyway I appreciate any info you guys are willing to offer. Good luck to everyone in the 2018 draws!!!

if your on the west side of phoenix I would hunt the west side from i-8 all the way up kingman along grand ave lots of really nice bucks in there. unit 21 22 23 are like a community bar looking for the one fat chick.

• Like 1

go visit some dirt tanks/guzzlers, walk the perimeter and find which ones are getting hit, then pick a high point and climb up there and glass, when I'm scouting I hit a few and if they look likely I make sure I glass them for an evening and the next morning until 10:00 or so, then move and find another one. Do this a few days and you will have a good idea where to start looking.

• Like 2

if your on the west side of phoenix I would hunt the west side from i-8 all the way up kingman along grand ave lots of really nice bucks in there. unit 21 22 23 are like a community bar looking for the one fat chick.

I figured 22 and 21 would be fairly busy units being so close to the valley!

I saw a legit 2 and half footer right off the side on the interstate just east of Quartzsite earlier this week......all by himself with his nose to the ground walking. Wish I had my bow!

• Like 1

Best way to find deer in the desert units are to do lots of yote hunting, find a small hill that over looks a flat and start calling any time of the day or year. when I first moved to az in 1982 all I did was yote hunt in the deserts cause I didnt believe there was deer in them. wow was I wrong all my late deer hunting(dec-jan) for the 1st 2 years was in unit 23 or north 21 in the pines sometimes crown king. now we can go into the desert with out seeing deer when yote hunting. usually see more deer than yotes

• Like 1