Sign in to follow this  
reece_mess16

16A Pig Report

My wife and I hunted Javelina in 16A over the weekend and did not see a single animal, well, other than the 100s of Quail. Someone right before the hunt said Javelina numbers are down in the unit. True? Anyone have any luck there recently or similar experience?

There is no shortage of pigs in 16a from what I have seen. I saw plenty of sign and pigs. If my grandson would have shot straight it would have been awesome. The biggest thing I have seen in 16a and 18a this season is I have not seen a pig before 11 am and all have been down low on flats and wash's. I can count on one hand how many times I have killed in the afternoon in the last 35 years of pig hunting. We killed 2 so far and the group has missed several shots all late afternoon. 16a Produced 4 different herds and 18a 3 herds with a small herd thrown in in 15. We had shot opportunity everyday but one since the first. I had to go back to work today or would be back out there.

• Like 1

Well I have seen them from first light to last light. I have killed at 3:30, 9AM 10:30 and seen them all day long and on the flats and up on the hills, all in 16A. I walk and glass at the same time. Some I know just like to get up high and glass but I like to cover ground and hunt the east side of the unit but not in the junipers.

Sometimes it takes a few trips to find out where they are at. If you found poop where was it? Under a Palo Verde? Near a dropoff into a canyon, up on a ridge. We will get rain statewide tomorrow so get back out there on Wednesday and Thursday if you can.

I have found that they usually stay in a one mile circle.

• Like 1

We hunted 16a for years for both Javelina & deer. We gave up on that unit after 3 straight years of not seeing

anything. We glassed, walked & everything in between. Hunted near the Hulapaies, all over chicken springs rd,

Near Alamo lake, 17 mile rd, & the south end of the unit off hwy 93. That unit has really gone down hill IMO.

Glad some of you are having good luck in the unit cuz we never have! Glad to hear you were seeing lots of

Quail!! We used to do really good for Quail, but they seemed to have fizzled out as well. From the sounds of it

we may have to give 16a another shot. My dad picked a left over rifle tag for February so maybe its getting

better.

I killed a pig up 17 Mile Rd last year. So I guess Im searching for the same herd just not finding them. We also hit a couple spots on the south end of the unit. Im glad a few of you guys are having some luck out there!

Any where around the Big Sandy has produced pigs for us,and a few Big mulies over the years.My sons have all killed their first pig and others in this unit.

My group is headed out for rifle in 16A and will be camping off 17 Mile Road near the Snake Springs turn off. Stop by if you're in the area.

Scouting didn't show anything from up by Wickieup near Shannon's Basin down to 17 Mile Road and points further South. There was a lot of burro sign however and I bet that is why this unit has declined.

Not expecting much except burro sightings and with the weather this week it will not be a warm hunt. Maybe just a l o n g party in the desert. Nothing wrong with that.

I hunted the last two weekends and saw more Donkeys then in years past and the pig population has crashed big time. I'll be out again this weekend.

I hunted the last two weekends and saw more Donkeys then in years past and the pig population has crashed big time. I'll be out again this weekend.

Man that sure contrasts your above post. Why the change do you think?

Over hunting maybe? I know it has been dry but the prickly pear pads were normal and not withered, same for the saguaros. I have noticed that the cattle have been tearing up the lower branches on the palo verdes.

Over hunting maybe? I know it has been dry but the prickly pear pads were normal and not withered, same for the saguaros. I have noticed that the cattle have been tearing up the lower branches on the palo verdes.

You and I are hunting out of the same herds, and I'm pretty sure hardly anyone else chases them...especially the herd way back to the south. It could be cyclical, or it could be disease. In the unit across the highway there has been a HUGE die off in that particular part of that unit. I talked to the WM at one of the youth javelina camps and she said they suspect distemper/parvo, but have not documented it with a necropsy yet. It wouldn't be unheard of for it to spread.

Granted, I haven't hunted that area yet this year (I'll be there Friday/Saturday), but I suspect at least one of the herds went farther south to the permanent water in the big canyon. Have you checked out the Department drinker to the east? I wonder if it could possibly have malfunctioned?

• Like 1

I didn't know there was a drinker out there. I have the G&F Water Hole publication, maybe it's in there and I agree that maybe they went into the canyon but didn't know about the parvo. I will probably get there mid Friday, at least that's the plan.

Best of luck to you.