Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Need help deciding on a New Mexico Antelope unit

I've decided to start applying for Antelope in New Mexico every year. I have absolutely no knowledge of antelope hunting in New Mexico. I need help deciding on what unit to apply for. I know they all have horrible draw odds. If anyone could give me some unit suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Adam

• Like 1

Not sure how much this helps you, but the grassland between Datil and Magdalena has been filled with antelope every time I've driven on the 60 there. Nice bucks too.

North of the 60 is Unit 13 and it looks like some decent state land in the middle and possibly some NF.

South of the 60 is Units 16E and 17 and looks like decent public land too.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/hunting/maps/NM-GMU-KMZ-2017.kmz

• Like 1

Have you considered Wyoming? New Mexico is a 5-6 hour drive with low draw odds. Wyoming is a 14-16 hour drive, depending on where you go in the state, but good draw odds and even over the counter opportunities.

I'm already planning on going to Wyoming as well. I'm just trying to go on as many Antelope hunts as possible and thought New Mexico would be fun.

• Like 1

Just be aware that all rifle tags are private land ranch only. I had a bad experience last year on my draw tag with the ranch manager telling us where we could and couldnt go. Took calling the game warden to come over to be able to go where the antelope where. By the time that happened the ranch tags had tagged out so we had to settle with what was left. Ended up killing a great buck but it really tainted the hunt. As much as I despise archery hunting antelope I think thats what Im gonna put in for from now on.

• Like 2

Just be aware that all rifle tags are private land ranch only. I had a bad experience last year on my draw tag with the ranch manager telling us where we could and couldnt go. Took calling the game warden to come over to be able to go where the antelope where. By the time that happened the ranch tags had tagged out so we had to settle with what was left. Ended up killing a great buck but it really tainted the hunt. As much as I despise archery hunting antelope I think thats what Im gonna put in for from now on.

Really, so no public land open for the rifle hunts? I am guessing then one needs to anty up and pay the ranchers access fees?

Really, so no public land open for the rifle hunts? I am guessing then one needs to anty up and pay the ranchers access fees?

With the draw tags I believe you are assigned a ranch, there are no access fees involved. In order for the rancher to get landowner tags, he has to let so many draw hunters hunt his property.

• Like 1

With the draw tags I believe you are assigned a ranch, there are no access fees involved. In order for the rancher to get landowner tags, he has to let so many draw hunters hunt his property.

This ^. You are allowed unrestricted access to the ranch. I didnt have my ducks in a row that morning and was trying not to be a prick so we did what the ranch manager said for the first couple hours and then glassed up a ton of antelope on a distant part of the ranch. Drove over there to get a good look at a really nice buck we saw bedded just off a road but before we could get to him the ranch manager ran us down and said we couldnt hunt over there as he had elk hunters in there (wasnt a tree within miles) and proceeds to drive down the road and run that buck off the road. We went back to cell service, called the warden and he advised us to carry on with the hunt. We went back over there and found the buck they were trying to run off from us and killed it. Still got a great buck but the whole hunt was kinda tainted.

• Like 3

This ^. You are allowed unrestricted access to the ranch. I didnt have my ducks in a row that morning and was trying not to be a prick so we did what the ranch manager said for the first couple hours and then glassed up a ton of antelope on a distant part of the ranch. Drove over there to get a good look at a really nice buck we saw bedded just off a road but before we could get to him the ranch manager ran us down and said we couldnt hunt over there as he had elk hunters in there (wasnt a tree within miles) and proceeds to drive down the road and run that buck off the road. We went back to cell service, called the warden and he advised us to carry on with the hunt. We went back over there and found the buck they were trying to run off from us and killed it. Still got a great buck but the whole hunt was kinda tainted.

Thanks, I can see where that takes all the fun out of it. Hunting has it's highs and lows but it is still supposed to be fun and not a competition, at least for me. I have 3 BP's for Wyoming, maybe I'll wait another year before applying.

There are some muzzleloader tags and potentially rifle (not sure) in the N part of the state that are mostly forest service land that have traditional draw tags to hunt the entire unit. It might be worth looking into.

I think this year they re-did the antelope regs. This is how it used to be : If you archery hunt you get all the public land and any private land you get permission for. If you rifle hunt you are assigned a ranch and have to hunt that ranch. You should have full access to the whole ranch. It is also only a 3 day hunt.