phillyphan

Concrete Slab Question

I'm looking at adding about 1250sqft of concrete slab to my side yard where I store my travel trailer. I just moved into this home and the backyard is all dirt. My question to the concrete experts here is, what psi rating and thickness of concrete should I be requesting. I just got a quote for 3000 psi, 4" thick that I thought was pretty good. Now I'm not sure the psi is high enough after doing some research.

I would personally go with 6" slab 3000 psi. With a rebar mat in ot. Just my personal opinion. I build bridge structures for a living.

• Like 2

Thickness depends on what your subgrade condition and reinforcing. Definitely get good compaction on the pad and then throw plenty of bar in it.

I would go 6" with 3000psi w/ fiber. Putting rebar in will hold it together but it will crack like crazy. You'll be able to see exactly where your rebar mat is.

• Like 1

I agree with 5guyshunting,I usually use 4000 psi 4inches thick with fibermesh but what he suggested would be fine.I've been pouring concrete for 30 plus years.

• Like 2

I agree with 5guyshunting,I usually use 4000 psi 4inches thick with fibermesh but what he suggested would be fine.I've been pouring concrete for 30 plus years.

So either 4" with 4000 psi or 5" with 3000 psi. But definitely not 4" with 3000 psi. And fiber mesh is a must.

• Like 1

I'm a firm believer in fiber mesh,I think it is better than rebar in a slab.I've been using it for years with excellent results.

Just throw anything cheep down like they do in pima county. Then take the money that you saved and buy a rest home for pit bulls.

or open desert for ground squirrels. LOL Sorry