Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Handgunners-What gun, What bullet?

The HAM hunts are just around the corner. Gonna use a stainless Ruger GP100 4" in 357. Not sure what grain or bullet or even caliber(38 or 357) I'll go with. The gun shoots the 38 special and 357 158 grain soft points really good. Gonna try and find some good hollow point ammo in one of those two calibers or stick with the lead soft points I'm using now. What are you all gonna use?

Retiring the Smith .44 this year and going to use my bow and my 460XVR Smith. Just the bullet passing by it will kill it! ^_^

I will be using my Thompson Contender in 300 blackout, with 110gr V-max Hornaday ammo, for the first time. I have taken Javelina with TC in 223 don't remember what ammo. Glock 21 and Kimber 1911, 45 acp 185 and 230 hollow points. All have put pigs down with one hit.

I think hunting Javelina with a handgun is the funnest way to hunt them. I'm not sure if it's because the pigs have been hunted for a month straight, but it seems more difficult than the archery hunt.

When I use the 357, I carry the 158 xtp.

This year I'll be carrying my Glock model 40 in 10mm with Trijicon RMR sight.

I will be using my Thompson Contender in 300 blackout, with 110gr V-max Hornaday ammo, for the first time. I have taken Javelina with TC in 223 don't remember what ammo. Glock 21 and Kimber 1911, 45 acp 185 and 230 hollow points. All have put pigs down with one hit.

I think hunting Javelina with a handgun is the funnest way to hunt them. I'm not sure if it's because the pigs have been hunted for a month straight, but it seems more difficult than the archery hunt.

I can shoot a bow better than a pistol.
  • Like 1

When I used my 4" Rossi in 357 I used 125gr HP handloads. This year I will use a Glock 10MM but I haven;t decided on a round yet.The HPR 180's group very good but they are FMJ.

I am going to shoot some PMC 170 JHP and Grizzly 180 JHP soon and see how they group.

im gonna use my pistol on the general hunt. 5.7x28mm with 40gr vmax

Ive always thought that would be the ultimate HAM pistol. I need one I think.

• Like 1

im gonna use my pistol on the general hunt. 5.7x28mm with 40gr vmax

Ive always thought that would be the ultimate HAM pistol. I need one I think.

You can make good hits with it from far away. Their price has come down $300 or so since the election also.

Probably my Freedom Arms 6" single action with mid range loads. It's hammered them for the last 8 years straight.

1911 in .38 super is what I am going to take on my first HAM hunt this year.

124gr hornady XTP is what I am going to try.