Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Scoring Question

I'm not much of a score guy, but I did get a little curious when the official SCI scorer moved some of the width measurements because abstract horn was in the way. It was my understanding that you were to go directly over the 'the bumps' Could somebody with more expertise clarify for me?

post-4480-0-71162300-1515814420_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-29358800-1515814494_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-02765700-1515814552_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure as long as that's where a circumference measurement lands they are supposed to go over the bumps. Only one they can move is if the circumference lands on the prong. He can't just decide he wants to move the circumference measurement to wherever he wants to miss the bumps. I'm sure someone else with more experience than me will answer but I'm saying he did it wrong IF that's truly where your circumference messuremnts fall.

My understanding was the opposite, you have to go directly adjacent to an abnormality, but cannot go over.

Regardless, forget about the score on that beast, freaking awesome goat. You never see lope with Trash. Congrats on a one of a kind trophy!

I'm not much of a score guy, but I did get a little curious when the official SCI scorer moved some of the width measurements because abstract horn was in the way. It was my understanding that you were to go directly over the 'the bumps' Could somebody with more expertise clarify for me?

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

What does it score?

I think they go over the bumps as well. I guess if they didnt it gets to gray area really quick (whats the definition of a bump, do they go up or down, etc etc). May be that sci and BC are diff though? Maybe Eli Grimmet will chime in? Im guessing he knows.

I found scorers do what they want, some will do third score below prong if that's where the third measurements is, and others go above no matter what ,even know the book says 3rd circumference score below prong if string doesn't slip. I've had scorers tell me they don't agree with original scoring methods, also BC and SCI have different methods, I've given up on official scorers, 1 hard to find and they seem to score different, finally got to the point I'm just happy to have harvested the beautiful animal. the heck with scores, doesn't make you Weiner any bigger like some think, only my take

• Like 1

I found scorers do what they want, some will do third score below prong if that's where the third measurements is, and others go above no matter what ,even know the book says 3rd circumference score below prong if string doesn't slip. I've had scorers tell me they don't agree with original scoring methods, also BC and SCI have different methods, I've given up on official scorers, 1 hard to find and they seem to score different, finally got to the point I'm just happy to have harvested the beautiful animal. the heck with scores, doesn't make you Weiner any bigger like some think, only my take

This is funny and not true with P&Y and B&C official measurers. I'll preface this by saying that I don't know what SCI's scoring rules and procedures are. The official measurer does not have the final say so when scoring an animal. The score has to be scrutinized and approved by Records Director and staff at each organization. They don't get to make up and follow their own rules... Each organization has a large measuring manual with procedures to follow.

The P&Y rule on the original posters question is that if it is a large enough bump or protuberance, the circumference measurement is taken above it. For B&C a method using calipers is done to not include the inflated circumference in the score. Either way, the inflation is deducted in the final score. Ed F

• Like 2

BOWUNTR is right. It would depend on the size of the knots and bumps and how theyre affecting the measurement. Generally if the tape would lay flat against the horn along the entire circumference it wouldnt need to be moved. It looks like the one above the prong on yours would be fine to measure over but its tough to tell from just the pics.

Not saying its final and the rule on the third score is different for P&Y to B&C , just went thru a bunch of BS in the late 90's with the scoring on my bucks, I just let it go never got a official scores, but there mine, cool buck by the way

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying. I was unsure on the process. My taxidermist insisted I get it registered (I was also curious). I just did Sci because the scorer is a friend of my cousin. The final score was 83 and change with two + inches of bumps not included. Ranking it 24th in SCI for archery. If there was a non typical category it would have killed it.

• Like 1

I agree, but I was told it is impossible to be 100% accurate all the time, I was also told it is not the method used in Africa, and thought it was

From the second edition of the measuring guide, page 178. Boone and Crockett.

Pronghorns commonly show small protuberances on the horn, occasionally developing into sizable ones. Should the length of horn measurement fall on these, simply measure across them so long as they do not noticeably affect the measurement. Should a large one inflate this measurement by pushing the measuring tape noticeably into the air, the tape should be slightly repositioned to keep the measured line close to the horn surface. Make note of any horn projections exceeding one-half inch in length that interfere with the length of horn measurements; explain how the measurement was taken in the REMARKS section, or in the blank space at the top of the score sheet.

I agree with what's been already said, forget the score and enjoy the trophy. I really like it myself. I would like to see a photo of it when mounted.

• Like 1