Sign in to follow this  
goinhuntn

Dad's 2017 late rifle Apple Bull

My dad who is going to be 77 this year got it done on the late rifle. I was super happy for him as he has not had a tag since 2011, has had a knee replacement , hip

replacement & a major heart attack in 2015. We hiked into a great area about 2 miles from camp on opening morning. we sat on some rim rock watching a nice draw

when a shot rang out about 75 yards away. I told be dad be ready incase something comes thru. We both stood up & were looking in different directions I look over at dad and his rifle is on the ground leaning against his pack and he's eating an apple. Another shot rings out again about 75 to 100 yards away. I look over at dad and he is still eating his apple. Five minutes later I hear dad whisper my name as I start to look his direction 4 bulls come up over the little ridge behind me at 100 yards away.

The lead bull is a 360 to 380 6x6 with 2 smaller 6x6s (still shooters in my book) and the bull bringing up the rear is a young 6x6. I whisper to dad to get his attention, but he is watching the rear bull which is starting to turn and go to his right. Dad is still eating his apple with his rifle on the ground (i'm thinking what the heck are you doing).

I finally get his attention as the other 3 bulls are standing broadside 50 to 60 yards from me looking the opposite direction dad sees the bulls and now is trying to get his scope cover off with the apple in his mouth. All I could do at this point is shake my head in disbelief meanwhile the 3 bulls are still standing there looking the opposite direction 50 yards away. Dad finally gets his scope covers off and tries to get setup for a shot, but its too late the bulls know the gig is up and take off down the draw.

I look at my dad and I can see the disgust & disappointment in his eyes as he knew he blew a huge opportunity on a big bull ! As we sit there in disbelief as to what

just transpired, 5 minutes pass we hear leaves crunching to our right and the young 6x6 that was in the rear is coming back looking for his buddies. dad tries to get

rested against a tree for a shot, but this bull is not sticking around and off he goes. Dad was sick to his stomach as we had just encountered 4 bulls together with all of them being shooters, and not one shot fired. The rest of the day was uneventful and we headed back to camp at dark. That night we sat around the fire discussing what happened, and dad said he just wasn't paying attention to the situation. The next morning we headed out in the same direction as the day before to watch a meadow that has some dark timber around it, hoping to catch a bull heading to his bed after feeding. We are about 200 yards from the meadow when we hear some grunting noise, we stop and look everywhere but don't see anything. We start moving again slowly looking around when we hear the grunting noise again and the sound of hoofs on rocks. I look to my left to see 3 cows heading toward the meadow. I whisper to dad to watch toward the meadow, and just than spot a 6x6 coming toward the cows. I tell dad bull coming get ready, and the bull stops broadside 150 yards away between 2 trees. The bull is looking our direction, but can't see us because a tree is blocking him. I tell dad to take the shot, but he can't see the bull from where he is standing so I grab him and pull him to where i'm standing. They must have winded us or heard us and start to take off. I pull up my binos to watch 3 cows and 4 bulls running away. I had only seen the 1 bull and couldn't believe

3 other bulls were with this group, this was the morning of day 2 and we have now seen 8 branch bulls. We continue up toward the top of the meadow when we hear

a shot about 3 to 400 yards away. I look at dad and say we just pushed those elk to whoever just shot, and hopefully someone will return the favor!! We get to the top of the meadow and decide to head over to an area about a mile and half away where we always see elk. We start to head that way when we hear a chainsaw fire up in that direction so we decide to wait a bit, after about an hour of listening to the chainsaw I tell dad heading that way is useless now lets just sit the meadow until dark.

We decide to sit the meadow hoping to catch something heading to get water. I look at my watch its 8:30 am so we are in for a long day, we sit down about 10 yards apart facing opposite directions watching the dark timber. I look over at dad and he is chomping on another apple, I just shake my head and start to smile. All of

the sudden I hear hoofs on rocks as I turn to my right hear comes a 6x6 trotting on the edge of the meadow 200 yards away coming toward us. I turn to tell dad, but he is already on him with rifle up resting on a tree branch. The bull has no clue we are there now he is at 100 yards away and getting ready to cross in front of us I tell dad hold on he is coming right to us and you will have a fifty yard shot, right than I hear BOOM. I see the bull hunch up and tell dad hit him again (BOOM) the bull hunches again, but still on his feet. Hit him again I say, but now dad doesn't have a clear shot he heads toward me to get another shot when I see the bull start to stumble and go down. I watch to make sure he is not getting backup!! Bull is down I grab dad and give him a big hug with a tear in my eye and say you did it!!! This is my dads biggest bull, and I am so happy for him as he does not have that many more years to hunt turning 77 in May. He packed out a few loads with me packing most of it

and I had a smile on my face the whole time. It was awesome to be able to be on this hunt with my dad who is my best friend and mentor. Hope you guys enjoy the story and sorry if was long and drawn out. We decided to name the bull the Apple Bull.post-5840-0-57784100-1515862171_thumb.jpgpost-5840-0-33600200-1515862263_thumb.jpgpost-5840-0-60957000-1515862298_thumb.jpgpost-5840-0-77666400-1515862409_thumb.jpgpost-5840-0-58512200-1515862454_thumb.jpgpost-5840-0-61423400-1515862489_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

So great! Congratulations.....sounds like my dad, except he is 81.

• Like 1

Congrats to you and your Dad!!! That's what memories are made of right there!!!

• Like 1

That was a great story. Thank you for sharing. Co granulation son a great time with your Dad! Must say, I am a little jealous, dont get to spend much time like that with my old man any more.

• Like 1

Congrats Erik. That's awesome. You guys camp by the corral? Cherish it. We found out in November dad has lung cancer. It's very possible that we have gone on our last hunt. Would give anything for one more.

• Like 1