Sign in to follow this  
Beaton

Is it a tough archery pig season?

I was lucky and arrows a pig opening day in my honey hole. We have 2 more tags to fill and we can't find them again. We have been out multiple times. I'm hearing the same from my buddies. Anyone else think it's been tougher than normal?

Leave the pig tag at home and grab your deer tag and start glassing for deer. You will see tons of pigs for sure

• Like 2

I've been trying to find a pig in 37B for the last 4 days with zero luck! Very frustrating season!!

Not to be a wise guy but I've never seen more pigs per outing than I have in the last month.

Trying to get into my tree stand in the pines.

post-3844-0-26781200-1516076272_thumb.png

At water every day I sat it.

post-3844-0-82519500-1516076336_thumb.png

Underneath the stand.

post-3844-0-00806900-1516076400_thumb.png

Relocating in coues country.

post-3844-0-82425600-1516076482_thumb.png

Busting up coues stalks.

post-3844-0-74930900-1516076535_thumb.png

And struck.

post-3844-0-98611600-1516078742_thumb.jpg

I had the 37B last year and it took me a few days to put it together.

• Like 4

Awesome photos! My son was out all weekend and never saw the pigs. He went out to a spot we see them all the time. While driving out in the dark. Bingo there they were just can't do d them during daylight. Took him out today. Tons of fresh sign and we could smell them but never saw them.

I think it has to do with being such a warm winter. I always find the javelina season to be a good time to find them because it's cool outside and they are generally in the Sun in the morning. With his warm as it is I'm not so sure they're sticking to that pattern.

We have not seen them do their usual behavior of coming up on hillsides- we're finding them in the bottom and feeding on shaded oak hill sides. Too warm for normal javelina behavior.

• Like 1

I got my butt kicked by them for 4+ days in 44A. It's a known herd and they were definitely around. Every morning fresh sign in all the right places but could not glass them up to save my life. Couldn't find them bedded either. Had to resort to jumping into the thick nasty stuff on the flats and found some at dusk. Last year was bad due to the storms, flooding and hail but this year was the longest it's ever taken me to put eyes on them. Kind of strange though as it seemed like everyone else was glassing them up in the usual spots. Reminded me of why it's called hunting...

We haven't been able to figure out where they all went this yr either. We know of several herds in area - still plenty water - no rootin - basically no tracks - even after the rain

Never takes this long to find piggy's

Hopefully they make themselves visible in February. I'll be taking my almost 5 year old out with me for his first weekend hunting trip with daddy. I hope to have him entertained!

• Like 2

Ive been finding them everyday around the 11am to 1pm. They seem to be feeding around that time where Im hunting. I see them in the mornings but they are Working the washes. Hope that helps!

I think it's to warm! They are down lower in the thick stuff and they don't have to get on a sunny hill in the mornings to warm up. Well good luck guys. I'm going farther north like unit 10 to hunt deer this weekend. Not seeing many bucks as well in my desert areas so I'm going to try some higher elevation. It's supposed to cool down a little maybe that will help a little.

I was done in one day on a herd I have never hunted before. Took my daughter out with me and she got to see the whole stalk and kill so that was really cool but once we got done with pics and gutting she asked if she could pack it out for me so I let her. 1.5 miles back to the quad and never complained! Which was really cool!

All the pigs I have seen have been near the tops of ridges but definatly using north side way more than normal. If it helps I glassed the herd I killed out of at 9:30 and shot at 11:30. In another unit chasing deer 3 herds of pigs were spotted in one afternoon. All were near tops of ridges. Good luck have patience and glass hard and you should find em.

• Like 2