Sign in to follow this  
1uofacat

Just how much do you trust your bank/financial institution?

The AZ G&F years ago decided to automate the draw process. Sounded great, but they didn't realize the issues that would have, namely declined credit card charges and what to do about them. Because those declined charges were typically not the fault of the applicant, the second year they implemented this they called everyone who had a declined card in an effort to give "us" a chance at receiving a tag. We've all heard stories here where people received calls and were able to provide a different card and received their tags... not everyone was so lucky however.

While that worked, somewhat, it delayed the completion of the draw process. In addition, the added headache of making those calls, likely in the hundreds, became quite burdensome. Now there are no calls being made, but rather we need to "ensure" our cards are "good" before the draw starts. Here's a list of what my family has had happen over the past several years and what I am doing to prevent this from ever happening again.

1) Shortly after this new process started, our bank declined the G&F charges because there were "multiple large charges of the same amount" that to someone evidently looked suspicious (they were elk tags). The G&F called twice and luckily someone was able to answer the second call, provide a different card, and we received our tags. Our bank did not inform us they declined these charges, we only found out when we called the bank to find out what they did and why. While on the phone, the G&F rep asked if we knew another person with the same last name. They were related and we had them use the same "new" card and they were subsequently given their tag as well. There is no record of a call from the G&F to the second number (cell phone).

2) A few years into this new draw process, our bank suspected our Debit/Credit card's information was compromised so they canceled our cards prior to the draw without informing us. We had plenty of money in our account, but we never saw charges hit our account, nor did we receive any calls from the G&F. New cards arrived in the mail the week after the draw process started. After receiving the cards/finding out what our bank did I called the G&F and was told we were rejected on two elk tags due to rejected charges and there was nothing they could do.

3) 4 years ago my sister-in-law was drawn, but her card was declined due to a "suspected security breach" and new card being issued to her. She never received a call from the G&F, and did not receive her tag, but retained her bonus point. She received a new card weeks after the draw was over. A call to the G&F did not help.

4) 3 years ago, I verified my account had funds the week the draw started. It was frustrating not seeing any hits on my account, and when I tried to using the card that weekend it was "declined". I called my bank and they told me they re-issued my card because it was set to expire soon (6 weeks away). I checked my portal and according to my portal I didn't even apply. I couldn't change the card as it was too late. I called the G&F the following Monday and they would only say the draw was in process and "don't trust the portal information". In the end I was supposedly "not drawn"... but to this day don't trust what the G&F told me, especially given the portal didn't show having applied. My bank statement showed application fees hitting my account in mid-Feb. Perhaps I just wasn't drawn, but will never know for sure what happened.

Last year I decided to eliminate any of the above issues by applying with paper applications and money orders. The only difference was I was not looking for charges to "hit" my card. While this has been "exciting" in the past, more often than not it turned out to be frustrating. Didn't we also hear about some last year that had charges "hit" only to disappear later on? Know I was drawn last year and received some tags, but not for antelope w/19 points...

Personally I will never again risk not receiving a tag because someone outside of my control declines charges or decides to re-issue cards at their discretion. I would prefer the G&F simply process the tag charges when we apply and issue refunds to those not drawn, PERIOD! Until the G&F chooses to "prevent" declined charges during the draw, I will never again apply with a credit card... it is simply not worth the risk!

I have used a credit card since day one for myself and my entire family and have never had an issue. I do however call my credit card company and let them know they might see several charges from Azgfd and that it is not fraudulent.

• Like 1

Sounds like a bank problem and not a game and fish problem. If I had to guess are you banking with BofA?

I think UofAcat hit the nail on the head. It is both a bank problem and a G&F problem. I am going to apply with paper this year as well, too many horror stories. Colorado hits your card for the entire amount and then sends a check after the draw. A lot of way's it can be done better than the current plan.

I dont believe they are allowed to charge the entire tag fee up front because of an Arizona law, not a game and fish decision.

A back up card on our applications seems like a great idea and should be something game and fish could implement.

I have applied online since it was available and havent had a problem yet but I:

Use one card per person in the family. It eliminates duplicate charges being rejected and it also tells me who got drawn once the cards get charged.

I also talk to the credit card companies to tell them to allow any and all charges from game and fish.

In retrospect the only glitch I have ever had was a paper application filled out incorrectly years ago. I guess there are potential problems no matter what you do.

Never had a problem. I notify my card company prior to the charges hitting and let them know to approve ALL charges fro the next 2 weeks.

I like the system.

New Mexico charges everything up front and refunds after not drawn. Not bad either unless you have a boat load of tags to apply for.

Never ever had a problem with my 2 credit union accounts, banks suck, its not your money, I also put each person on different, that way no double charges and you no who got drawn.

I've heard though the grapevine that paper apps are going bye-bye soon. They've already shortened the deadline by 2 weeks for paper apps. Then what?

Literally every human that's 18+ can get a credit card. Like trophyhunter said it's really not that hard and it blows my mind how many people still can't get their credit cards updated in time. Besides making sure my bills are paid every month I can't tell you anything more important regarding money than putting in for permits every year.

I just meant it's not that hard to apply for the draw. I would actually be kinda pissed if I didn't have the option of paper. Boggles my mind how someone doesn't have their account ready for the draw to hit though. What is more important than that? Unless it's life or death

• Like 2