Sign in to follow this  
brademan76

Windshield Repair

I've got a couple vehicles that have cracked windshields needing repair. Typically do my own mechanical work so I haven't had to deal with a shop for a while other than maybe buying tires.

Any reputable places you'd recommend (I'm in the West Valley if that matters)? What is a general expense - both standard sized cars?

I've seen signs along the road about getting cash or gift cards back when you use XYZ shop to repair your windshield if you use insurance- what the heck is that about? I've got comprehensive insurance, but the deductible is $500. I can't imagine it costing over $500 bucks... so what am I missing?

Anyways, any input on navigating this topic would sure be appreciated!

I just used a flier in the mail, cant remember the name of the company for my windshield. I have full windshield coverage, they gave me $100 cash when they replaced it.

They didnt replace it with OEM glass like I requested. so I fought them and fought them on it, finally they used OEM glass.

• Like 1

I think most folks in AZ tend to have zero deductible glass coverage. I think that is the reason for the marketing youve seen. I remember when I moved here the insurance agent recommended zero deductible and mentioned something about AZ roads being hard on glass. I think we replace 2-3 windshields per year in our house so it has been worth it.

I have a friend with his own mobile repair service and works with insurance companies. He is in Tucson though, and I doubt would be doing work in the valley.

• Like 2

I'll double check with my insurance co on the glass coverage. Good input, thanks.

There is a jacked up law in the state of AZ that plays into the hands of the insurance companies.

Blackdiamond Auto Glass in Show Low/Taylor ....... you put their sticker on your rig and they will fill the chips for free.

I have consistently gotten hit within a two week period of getting a brand new windshield put in......

• Like 1

I just used a flier in the mail, cant remember the name of the company for my windshield. I have full windshield coverage, they gave me $100 cash when they replaced it.

They didnt replace it with OEM glass like I requested. so I fought them and fought them on it, finally they used OEM glass.

So did you have to pay anything out of pocket?

I can tell ya who not to use, don't use Rymax Auto Glass. I have used them twice. First time wasn't bad. OEM glass, on time and good work (no leaks, noise, etc).

Second time around was last week. Guy showed up 90 minutes late because he said he had to go to a Toyota dealer across town to get the windshield. He ended up installing aftermarket glass when I was told I would be getting OEM, took wayyyy too long and put a nice size gouge in my truck when he was prying the old windshield out. Then didn't own up to it and tried to say it was there before he worked on the truck, bad service big time.

• Like 1

I can tell ya who not to use, don't use Rymax Auto Glass. I have used them twice. First time wasn't bad. OEM glass, on time and good work (no leaks, noise, etc).

Second time around was last week. Guy showed up 90 minutes late because he said he had to go to a Toyota dealer across town to get the windshield. He ended up installing aftermarket glass when I was told I would be getting OEM, took wayyyy too long and put a nice size gouge in my truck when he was prying the old windshield out. Then didn't own up to it and tried to say it was there before he worked on the truck, bad service big time.

Another good tip to document condition of vehicle before service, thanks!

So did you have to pay anything out of pocket?

0 out of pocket. Added $100 to my pocket
  • Like 1

Another NOT to use place is Safelite Auto Glass. It's been quite sometime but I went rounds with them for like 6 months before they ever made windshield correct! Think they put 3 windshields In my car that slid or leaked or etc etc not to mention the 350lb drunk man that did orignal work about 5 hours late. Be very worried when you see windshield guy kicking your windshield out while sweating hungover funk all over seats! I had glass chips everywhere in my car, and then they had to cut a check for body damage to my vehicle also.

I've used the,place that gives $50 sportsmans gift cards and things have gone well like 6x now. Trying another and having Freedom auto glass so 2 Monday.

• Like 1

I have the zero deductable windshield replacement through my insurance, which does mean no out of pocket cost for me. I have used Brake Maxx to replace 4 or 5 windshields over the last few years. They used to give $50 gift cards for service at their garage but recently have been giving $100 visa same as cash cards! Always showed up on time and so far i have no complaints on the quality of work.

• Like 1

I don't know if It is true or not but I've heard safelite is cheaper because they use thinner glass and it does not last as long. Any insiders here can verify that?

There is a jacked up law in the state of AZ that plays into the hands of the insurance companies.

Blackdiamond Auto Glass in Show Low/Taylor ....... you put their sticker on your rig and they will fill the chips for free.

I have consistently gotten hit within a two week period of getting a brand new windshield put in......

been wondering why i see so many of those stickers.

I am currently on my 4th windshield in my 2010 Chevy. The original windshield lasted most of that. I have had nothing but a pain in the rear trying to get someone honest and good. One place promised a $50 cash/gift card but never produced and Safelite replaced it once while I was gone and ended up cracking my dashboard and to top it off was hitting on my daughter while he should have been working. Of course they wouldn't claim up to any of it. And I left the next day for a trip up to Idaho and got a chip that instantly turned into a crack on the way up there. So now I have two big cracks across the drivers side and numerous chips. But I don't want to deal with them and their cheap replacement windshields and horrible service. End of rant.

• Like 1

I have USAA Insurance, when you call them to file a windshield claim, they auto connect you with Safelite, have used them 3-4 times with no problem.

• Like 1