Sign in to follow this  
Jnj13

Rage 2 blade chisel mechanical- what happened?

Worked my butt off all month to find deer. Finally get a shooter and manage to slip into bow range. Great broadside shot at 35 yards. I see him crashing and busting Down the canyon. Wait a little bit and start the track. Im pumped. Find some blood but immediately get concerned. 3 hours later I find my broadhead. Its clean of blood but has fur and flesh on it.

3 more hours I relocate the buck and hes up and rutting his does? Small bloody wound on his shoulder. Wtf happened? Did this broadhead fail to open and penetrate? I have no clue. Any ideas? Ill never shoot a mechanical again!

post-13914-0-67620600-1516406404_thumb.jpeg

post-13914-0-77572400-1516406425_thumb.jpeg

post-13914-0-31211800-1516406449_thumb.jpeg

post-13914-0-48105400-1516406469_thumb.jpeg

Amazing. I would think at 35 any broadhead could handle a scapula of a deer. Ive seen videos of them going thru 50 gallon steel drums. Gonna take a minute to get over this one.

Love Ulmer's edge, anyway I take it was a mule deer,, never shoot them in the shoulder they don't die, its unreal

@azhamill I never recovered the arrow. Would have liked to see that too.

The Rage came highly recommended and I watched all the kill shots and thought it would do the job.

@wildwoody yes dessert troll. Would have been a personal best. 150" class I would guess. Tuff SOB for sure.

That's unfortunate but it happens. If you shoot fixed blades long enough you will see it again. Broad heads are funny creatures, you get phenomenal results with a fixed blade or expandable and then everything you believed in changes. All you can do is try and make good shots and go forward. The next buck with that same head is liable to pile inside of 50 yards.

My daughter shoots the 100 grain Swhacker at 50 pounds. It usually blows through Javelina, but not this past Sunday. In and out the same shoulder on a broadside pig. I'm sure it survived, it happens.

• Like 3

you probaby hit bone, and didn't kill him

listen to the sound, it will tell you a lot.

crack-bone

shwack-vitals/lung

thump-guts.

you probaby hit bone, and didn't kill him

listen to the sound, it will tell you a lot.

crack-bone

shwack-vitals/lung

thump-guts.

i must of hit femur the other day, i honestly thought i hit a tree or rock hard. was the loudest hit ive ever hear.

• Like 1

I heard all those sounds.

Update on Rage. I emailed them and they are at least refunding the $40. Sounded like a known issue if you ask me.

Refund... for what? I thought you hit the shoulder... If rage sent refunds for every one of these failures they'd go under. Ed F

• Like 2