Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

'Stink Pigs'

Alright Gents! If you are one of those guys that call javi 'stink pigs', can you please stop putting in for them and drawing tags??? I would really like more options when taking up left over tags. You don't like the meat and I'm not suggesting you should. They stink and taste awful - end of story.

Thanks for the consideration. :-)

. While we’re at can we stop calling them pigs of any kind. They are not pigs, they are not related to pigs. They are javelina.

The funny thing is that, as a wildlife biologist who specializes in evolution and taxonomy, I know exactly what javelina are related to and even I've learned to go with the flow and call them pigs...sometimes even referring to them as stink pigs. I've even got my kids calling them pigs, although they absolutely know the reality. No matter what I call them, they are among my favorite things to hunt and they are great eating. But then I once ate a grasshopper on a dare and a cold pot roast MRE for breakfast, so there's that...

I've even started saying Cooooze, but that's a whole other debate and thread.

They are "New World Pigs" as opposed to "Old World Pigs". You look at the snout and the teeth and common sense tells you they are some kind of pig. Pigs of a different feather, but pigs none the less regardless of what the books say. Just like a Bear is essentially a pig, or an Elk is essentially a Bovine. Missing one dew claw, and lacking a gal bladder does not disqualify you from being essentially a "PIG"... JMO

Actually, javelina are not really even close to pigs, other than their both artiodactylids (even toed). The javelina's closest relative is a hippopotamus and bears aren't even close to being pigs. Pigs are even-toed hooved mammals, while bears do not have hooves, so bears can't essentially be pigs. Elk are not bovine, either. Elk are cervids and only distantly related to the bovine. In the world of taxonomy, missing/lacking a particular body part or even having completely different parts does disqualify you from being classified in certain groups but, ultimately, DNA doesn't lie and always tells the truth. DNA has confirmed that javelina are not pigs (by a few thousand years) and that they are, in fact, more closely related to hippos.

• Like 3

So what do we call them now??? Stinkapotamus? Hippolina?

YES!!! I love stinkapottamus!

Sorry, but the science/taxonomy geek in me couldn't help myself with the above post. Its always cool to see the looks on people's faces when you show them the cladograms showing that the closest relative of a javelina is a hippo and the split from their common ancestor was somewhere around 10-20K years ago!

Stinkapottamus are about the only thing you absolutely will get to hunt every year. Fun to hunt, challenging to find, ok if you make them into chorizzo. They even make me feel like I'm a good bowhunter.

• Like 1

Alright Gents! If you are one of those guys that call javi 'stink pigs', can you please stop putting in for them and drawing tags??? I would really like more options when taking up left over tags. You don't like the meat and I'm not suggesting you should. They stink and taste awful - end of story.

Thanks for the consideration. :-)

. While were at can we stop calling them pigs of any kind. They are not pigs, they are not related to pigs. They are javelina.

The funny thing is that, as a wildlife biologist who specializes in evolution and taxonomy, I know exactly what javelina are related to and even I've learned to go with the flow and call them pigs...sometimes even referring to them as stink pigs. I've even got my kids calling them pigs, although they absolutely know the reality. No matter what I call them, they are among my favorite things to hunt and they are great eating. But then I once ate a grasshopper on a dare and a cold pot roast MRE for breakfast, so there's that...

I've even started saying Cooooze, but that's a whole other debate and thread.

They are "New World Pigs" as opposed to "Old World Pigs". You look at the snout and the teeth and common sense tells you they are some kind of pig. Pigs of a different feather, but pigs none the less regardless of what the books say. Just like a Bear is essentially a pig, or an Elk is essentially a Bovine. Missing one dew claw, and lacking a gal bladder does not disqualify you from being essentially a "PIG"... JMO

Actually, javelina are not really even close to pigs, other than their both artiodactylids (even toed). The javelina's closest relative is a hippopotamus and bears aren't even close to being pigs. Pigs are even-toed hooved mammals, while bears do not have hooves, so bears can't essentially be pigs. Elk are not bovine, either. Elk are cervids and only distantly related to the bovine. In the world of taxonomy, missing/lacking a particular body part or even having completely different parts does disqualify you from being classified in certain groups but, ultimately, DNA doesn't lie and always tells the truth. DNA has confirmed that javelina are not pigs (by a few thousand years) and that they are, in fact, more closely related to hippos.

Im with this dude^^^^^^

• Like 1

They are essentially a "New World Pig". Remember science is all over the place on this stuff. At one point they were considered related to old world pigs. So what changed? Not the Javelina or the pigs. It's always the so called "science" that changes. And Tayassuidae do in fact have Suidae in their family tree along with the Hippopotamus. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably at the very least SOME KIND OF DUCK...

Javelina as in the spear is a term made up by Mexicans. The proper name is Collared Peccary. Lets see what you all can do with that name. :mellow:

Can you say peccary on this web site?

The Collared Peccary I killed this year did not taste terrible. Lot of people need to learn to clean and cook wild game properly.

Possibly the same people that leave a bunch of fish on a stringer in AZ when the water is 85 degrees and then say fish taste bad.

• Like 1

Javelina as in the spear is a term made up by Mexicans. The proper name is Collared Peccary. Lets see what you all can do with that name. :mellow:

Actually, the word "javelina" has nothing to do with javelins or spears, or even Mexicans.

It stems from the Spanish word for the European wild boar, "jabali." The Spanish conquistadores who first encountered the collared peccary in the New World long before there was a Mexico added "ina" to indicate they reminded them of small wild boars.

English-speakers often have trouble with Spanish words that contain a B and tend to pronounce them as if the B was a V, which resulted in a "jabalina" becoming known as a "javelina."

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

Actually, the word "javelina" has nothing to do with javelins or spears, or even Mexicans.

It stems from the Spanish word for the European wild boar, "jabali." The Spanish conquistadores who first encountered the collared peccary in the New World long before there was a Mexico added "ina" to indicate they reminded them of small wild boars.

English-speakers often have trouble with Spanish words that contain a B and tend to pronounce them as if the B was a V, which resulted in a "jabalina" becoming known as a "javelina."

Bill Quimby

This is correct^^^