Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Lost and found mountain lion

Jan 1st I caught a daylight trip on a train from Phoenix to Winslow. The train tracks start out in Phoenix and proceed through Wickenburg and then goes through Congress, to Skull Valley, to Ashfork, to Williams, then to Winslow. On our way up going through a canyon I noticed a large dead lion on the side of the track with a collar on it. My co worker and were 95% sure thats what we saw, 5% it could have been someone pet or large dog.

I decided to call AZGF department to let them know and give them the location. I called the research Department that was listed under AZGF Regs in the lion section. I was able to chat with a fella that took my info down and said they would call me back with someone that delt with the tracking of the lions. I received a call back within 5-10 minutes and spoke with a young lady that was glad I had called in to report the dead lion. I explained to her about the location and told her most likely a train hit it. I ask her if she wanted me to cut the collar off and return it or just leave it. She explained that they would rather I left it alone but if I felt it was going to disappear or if I would have cut it of that would have been ok to return it. She explained the band was pretty expensive to cut (it can be reused) and that they have a special tools to remove the band. But also the GPS transmitter was very expensive, so yes they would like to have it back. She explained that the GPS gave real time pinpoints of the lion and if it laid still for more than 24hrs it would send out a mortality signal out so they could come retrieve it.

She said after our phone call she would find out who the lion was being reasearched by as they do have some lions in that particular area that are being studied wether it be them, a university, or the USDA.

I had asked for a update if they ended up finding the lion or if they did not find anything at all. A day later I came back to Phx by train and noticed the lion was gone. I was thinking that didnt take long, maybe someone at my work noticed picked it up. I had asked around at work and a buddy said he thought he hit something there but didnt know what it was.

Almost 3 weeks later I received a text from AZGF stating they did retrieve a male lion there and were thankful I called it in.

Anyways pretty cool!

Hi Devan, just wanted to let you know that we recovered that mountain lion a couple weeks ago. He was collared in 2015 & is probably about 6-7 years old. We'll use it for necropsy training. Thanks again for reporting it!

• Like 17

Very cool! I guess big cats are like house cats. They get run over a lot.....

Ever work with a guy named Jim? He's been retired for awhile and is a big hunter. He got hurt in an ATV accident. He had the Phx to Ashfork route back in the day.

Ever work with a guy named Jim? He's been retired for awhile and is a big hunter. He got hurt in an ATV accident. He had the Phx to Ashfork route back in the day.

Yea we hit a lion in this particular canyon almost every year, last year it was 2 cubs. Yep Jim was before my time, good guy from what others say.

Yea we hit a lion in this particular canyon almost every year, last year it was 2 cubs. Yep Jim was before my time, good guy from what others say.

I'm sure you guys see some cool stuff. Jim found my antelope for me to hunt in 19B back in 1992.

• Like 1

Yea we hit a lion in this particular canyon almost every year, last year it was 2 cubs.

Lol what

Ya I was surprised as well, now I never saw the cubs get hit, just from what Ive heard. Ive seen 3 in 5 years, 2 dead and one that walked right out in front of us on the tracks.

Pretty cool.

I'd be weary messing around after finding a dead lion without knowing cause of death. Might have the plague.

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/final-tests-confirm-canyon-biologist-died-of-plague/article_8afe953a-9d83-5e15-906c-7e10d0782feb.html

Yea we hit a lion in this particular canyon almost every year, last year it was 2 cubs.
Lol what
You know... this guys offspring

post-9154-0-62414500-1516936261_thumb.jpeg

I don't understand how a lion can walk out in front of a enormous train and get hit. How fast is that thing going?

Max speed is only 30mph, trains are silent. 😊 The real bummer is when you hit a 340 class bull at 60mph and you all see is antlers shattering everywhere ☹

• Like 1

I always thought the old bridge over the Haysampa by Morristown looked interesting. One day on my way back from a delivery to Bagdad I walked down to take a closer look at it. Do you ever just cringe when you approach an old bridge like that with a loaded train? Oh yea, there were cat tracks in a puddle not far from the bridge.

• Like 1

I always thought the old bridge over the Haysampa by Morristown looked interesting. One day on my way back from a delivery to Bagdad I walked down to take a closer look at it. Do you ever just cringe when you approach an old bridge like that with a loaded train? Oh yea, there were cat tracks in a puddle not far from the bridge.

Ya always cross my fingers, thats a good canyon for lions