Sign in to follow this  
muley224

Elk transplant to west virginia

I dont think az got anything but does it matter? Like someone said before we got ours from Yellowstone so we r just paying it forward. WV and RMEF paid for it so thats great, if az paid for all of it Id probably be against it but its a great thing in the long run of wildlife management

I think trading and selling our wildlife is all we'll and good as long as "we" (our herds and residents of Arizona) benefit from the trade or sale as well as the purchaser. In the article posted by tropyhseeker it states that west Virginia agencies covered the costs of the capture. Admittedly I scanned through the article, but my question would be what else did arizona get from the transaction? Something I hope

bragging rights that they pick our top quality heard. Or, AZ gave us a multi million dollar future venture for next to nothing. Depends on your attitude how you think about it.

I think it does matter because basically if and I stress "if" (because I don't know all the details) arizona gives up our wildlife for the cost of the "round up" that's not a fair deal in my eyes. I get the pay it forward mentality (I don't know the details of the acquisition of the Yellowstone elk. And if we got them for the cost of a round up, by all means I agree its time for us to return the favor) but I think this is different then say...a guy that wants to go hunt and I say you get a license and tag I'll loan you a gun and take you out. Arizona traded turkeys for new Mexico antelope. I'm all in favor of that. The way I see it that's a fair deal and I've never hunted turkey in my life.as far as bragging rights, I could care less about them. Arizona has quality elk and I'd like to go hunt those elk every year, but our herds and our habitat doesn't support that demand (for everyone who wants to hunt elk every year to do so). Our elk are valuable and while I don't think the numbers that got transplanted are going to be devastating to our elk herd I hope we got some conservation $ out of it that's all I'm saying.

• Like 2

I think trading and selling our wildlife is all we'll and good as long as "we" (our herds and residents of Arizona) benefit from the trade or sale as well as the purchaser. In the article posted by tropyhseeker it states that west Virginia agencies covered the costs of the capture. Admittedly I scanned through the article, but my question would be what else did arizona get from the transaction? Something I hope

bragging rights that they pick our top quality heard. Or, AZ gave us a multi million dollar future venture for next to nothing. Depends on your attitude how you think about it.
You don't like fair deals?

You don't like fair deals?
never gave my opinion either way, its up to you to decide the deal you think is fair. Not saying the state agrees but.....

If you are a believer in the North American model of wildlife management (which every public land DIY'er should be) then you should support this and say good for West Virginia. Us Arizonan's are happy to help you out and what is good for elk is good for everyone that likes elk. You either support the idea or you don't. You can't pick and choose only when if favors you.

Man I didn't realize Kentucky had that many elk already. I hope the West Virginia herd grows as fast.

• Like 4

Would they like a side order of wolfs to go with that elk order? Sold in 6 packs.The perfect elk management tool, just set em free and forget em.But wait there's more. Order today and get a second 6 pack for free, just pay additional shipping and handling.Collars optional. no refunds exchanges or returns all sales final. just a joke people.

• Like 7

Having just finished Hunter's Safety for the 5 time. (my 10yo just finished) I get the whole "for the good of the country.." thing. But what keeps coming back to me is the "These are your animals, you pay for the opportunity to hunt them, don't let others that aren't paying for them steal them." I know they mean poachers, but we still lost the opportunity to hunt them and their offspring. Fair market value might be more palatable.

but if you If they would have said, the Harvest goal is 60 elk, and to harvest 60 elk we sell 300 tags plus licenses for 2000 people.(give them the resident rate and base it off of % draw and % harvest)

300*148= 44,400

2000*56= 112,000

1700*13= 22,100

$ 178,500.00 loss to our state.

If we charged out of state fees

300*665= 199,500.

2000*160= 320,000.

1700* 13= 22,100.

If we want to hunt our elk in West Virginia, we will have to pay out of state rates.

• Like 2

That's what I'm talking about Jack. Great example! From the sounds of it, some people don't care how and where are tax dollars are spent.

Must be Bernie voters

• Like 1

post-10954-0-20534400-1517250803_thumb.jpgpost-10954-0-23382400-1517250869_thumb.jpg

Just saw on the news that 60 head of Elk were rounded up East of Flagstaff and sent to West Virginia. Think it was 57 cows and 3 bulls. Whats your thoughts on this ?

Don't know but post some pics of your avatar buck please.

Mine 224 net my brothers 237 7/8 net. Same hunt 92 Kaibab.

• Like 3

Having just finished Hunter's Safety for the 5 time. (my 10yo just finished) I get the whole "for the good of the country.." thing. But what keeps coming back to me is the "These are your animals, you pay for the opportunity to hunt them, don't let others that aren't paying for them steal them." I know they mean poachers, but we still lost the opportunity to hunt them and their offspring. Fair market value might be more palatable.

but if you If they would have said, the Harvest goal is 60 elk, and to harvest 60 elk we sell 300 tags plus licenses for 2000 people.(give them the resident rate and base it off of % draw and % harvest)

300*148= 44,400

2000*56= 112,000

1700*13= 22,100

$ 178,500.00 loss to our state.

If we charged out of state fees

300*665= 199,500.

2000*160= 320,000.

1700* 13= 22,100.

If we want to hunt our elk in West Virginia, we will have to pay out of state rates.

We lose way more than 60 elk a year to vehicle collisions, maybe instead of salvage permits given out it should be citations given out and then the commission could go after them for civil fines for the loss of elk to the state.

A lot more than 60 elk a year are lost due to poor shot placement during all the different hunts. Stop sweating the small stuff and start caring about things that actually matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 6