Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Simply awesome Javelina Youth hunt

Very cool story! Congrats on raising your son correctly!

Sounds like a truly great day! Way to go and congratulations.

Yeah, I know, always carry a lion tag. Man, it's tough these days. The expense of putting in 4 of us for pretty much everything gets up there - you can do the math but x4, everything plus college and sports and cars - it gets crazy expensive. Especially when you're putting in for out-of-state hunts for them as well.

I just want to give these boys every opportunity I can, and unfortunately, this year an extra lion tag, given how rare that opportunity might present itself, was one of the things I had to skimp on.

That said, Josh will remember that day forever, and I wouldn't change a second of it.

Thanks for all of your responses.

• Like 6

Yes it's expensive. I'm right there with you. I just think the experience of seeing that lion was well worth it and you guys will always remember that day.

• Like 2

Maybe it makes me a terrible dad, but I always have a lion tag in my pocket and my son doesn't get one, even when my son is the one doing the hunting. I've been after a lion for a long time, and my son knows that if we ever glass one up, he is passing over the rifle. Him not having a tag eliminates any confusion or question about that ;). So for now, he doesn't need to a lion tag. Once I finally get one that may change. I don't feel too guilty about it since I'm the one footing the bill for all of his hunts anyway, and he seems to draw everything he puts in for while I never draw a thing.

• Like 4

Maybe it makes me a terrible dad, but I always have a lion tag in my pocket and my son doesn't get one, even when my son is the one doing the hunting. I've been after a lion for a long time, and my son knows that if we ever glass one up, he is passing over the rifle. Him not having a tag eliminates any confusion or question about that ;). So for now, he doesn't need to a lion tag. Once I finally get one that may change. I don't feel too guilty about it since I'm the one footing the bill for all of his hunts anyway, and he seems to draw everything he puts in for while I never draw a thing.

What he 👆 said :)

“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.” - John Wooden

I would never teach my son that poaching is subjective, a whim to whatever circumstance arises. I'm proud of his choice.

• Like 2

Coach I missed the post a few up where you explained how expensive life is right now. In that case you got a really awesome bonus show for the price of your kiddos tag. 👍 I bought a duck stamp this year and never went and still thinking about wasted $ they better not spend any of it on the M.G.W.

Hey, it's all good. My other two boys and I have the same hunt in a couple weeks, and you can bet I'll have a lion tag in my pocket this time. Just in case :)

• Like 1

Hey, it's all good. My other two boys and I have the same hunt in a couple weeks, and you can bet I'll have a lion tag in my pocket this time. Just in case :)

Your pm inbox might be full