Sign in to follow this  
huntz

Rattle

I tried last week but a lioness and cubs have moved into my spot and the deer have hi tailed it out.

It can work. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes it scares them away and sometimes they hear it but are indifferent to it. It's a good thing to have a couple calls with you. Generally, if I see a deer that seems to be heading my way anyhow, I stay quiet and let things unfold. If they appear to be heading past me out of bowrange, that's worth trying to call them in a little closer.

Never call to a deer that is already alert or suspicious, you will give them a free education and they will take it and run.

Also, if you call to a deer and they look at you, but then continue on at a calm pace, don't get desperate and start calling too much. Often they will circle on you to investigate, and if you get to panicked and call too much you can bump them out of there. Been my experience that if a deer has made up his mind to investigate, you can change it for him. But if he's already decided not to investigate, you usually cannot change that.

I don't like to call blind either. I've seen too many run away from my calling, so I don't sit and call to animals I can't see, because I don't want to risk bumping them out before I've even laid eyes on them.

You can also mix it up with spot & stalk hunting. The first deer I ever killed was a nice 4x4 muley I glassed up and got to within about 150 yards of. I was almost out of light, so decided now or never. I stayed low to the ground hiding behind brush and started using the grunt call and thrashing brush with my hand and then moved in a little at a time. I moved towards him challenging, he moved towards me to investigate, and then my arrow met him half way with a 50 yard shot.

Good luck!

• Like 1