Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

First hunt with young dog

I started on the quest for another hunting dog about 3 years ago. I have had GSPs in the past and wanted something with the same nose, same drive but doesn't shed. I settled on a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Then I had to locate a breeder. There is one breeder in Az, but he didn't have any pups. Called a bunch of breeders and found 2 of them with litters due. I settled on a breeder in Colorado, High Country Griffs. Money sent, waited. March 23, 2016 I got an email with the joyous news. Pups on the ground. 12 to be exact. post-3516-0-28577300-1517238463_thumb.jpgI got lucky Female #4, here to be known as Harley. post-3516-0-22039400-1517238486_thumb.jpg Made arrangements to have her flown in. I was going to go pick her up, but the time she was ready wouldn't fit my work schedule.

She was a crazy ball of sprinkler digging up/chewing on everything of joy. I knew I didn't have the ability to train her properly so I sent her to Summer Camp last year with Todd Yamamoto – RockSolid Bird Dog Kennel. She did great. She likes to chew on birds some, but not too bad.

I wasn't able to take her hunting last fall due to an injury to my leg, but I finally took her out for about 2 hours last Saturday morning. My first 2 spots had pig hunters in them, so I had to go to my 3rd choice. (ranked by cholla scarcity)

Out of the truck for 5 minutes and we got our first point. They flushed and I missed. We chased them and we got our second point. post-3516-0-68270400-1517239442_thumb.jpg

I hit one, she went and got it. We let them go, and searched for another covey. We hunted about another hour till my leg was starting to get sore, and I didn't want to wear her out.

We packed it in. Successful day. post-3516-0-32252600-1517239478_thumb.jpg

Planning on going a few more times before the end of the season.

She will go back to camp this summer, get some polishing up.

• Like 11

awesome, congrats on the first with your pup! Hopefully you get out with her a few more times before season close and some afterward without a shotgun.

• Like 1