Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

Big Bo permit

Those famiar with unit 10....is a Big Bo permit Worth it for the rifle antelope hunt? How many permits do they sell? If i purchase a hunters assistant permit do i need one for each helper or can i list a few people on 1 guest permit? When do they usually go on sale? Thanks in advance.

There re antelope all over 10 but I got my big bo permit and ended up shooting mine on the big bo. I don't think they have a max number they sell but I would check on the big bo website. I found it very usefully and it answered all my questions regarding an extra assistance permit. I bought one and used it for my dad and brother. Not sure if the rules have changed in the past 3 years or so.

• Like 2

I know for elk this year everyone in my camp had to have a permit. I would also get the ranch permit if you draw why limit yourself when it's so tuff to draw a tag.

There re antelope all over 10 but I got my big bo permit and ended up shooting mine on the big bo. I don't think they have a max number they sell but I would check on the big bo website. I found it very usefully and it answered all my questions regarding an extra assistance permit. I bought one and used it for my dad and brother. Not sure if the rules have changed in the past 3 years or so.

Thanks, i checked the website and the 2018 season isnt updated yet. I thought they limited the number of permits they sell and i didnt want to miss out, if i draw, i may be mistaken though.

• Like 1

I went on the Antelope hunt last year on the Big Bo, everyone that assisted had to have the $80 permit. We were checked by the WM for unit 10 and if you don't have that permit its a trespassing ticket. He said the ranch was redoing the agreement in December and I said it would probably now cost a $100 a person and he said he had know idea what would happen. Personally I wasn't that impressed last year with the Goats I seen but to each their own.

• Like 1

I went on the Antelope hunt last year on the Big Bo, everyone that assisted had to have the $80 permit. We were checked by the WM for unit 10 and if you don't have that permit its a trespassing ticket. He said the ranch was redoing the agreement in December and I said it would probably now cost a $100 a person and he said he had know idea what would happen. Personally I wasn't that impressed last year with the Goats I seen but to each their own.

Thanks. They have the price list out and its still $80 for an assistant permit. Ive heard last year wasnt great in 10, biggest buck was around 86. Supposed to be similar this year. Ive point guarded my application so if i draw it and dont find a few I like i can turn it back in.

Were you the hunter? Do you remember when you could buy the permit and if they limited the number of hunters allowed on the ranch?

Thanks. They have the price list out and its still $80 for an assistant permit. Ive heard last year wasnt great in 10, biggest buck was around 86. Supposed to be similar this year. Ive point guarded my application so if i draw it and dont find a few I like i can turn it back in.
I don't know about the other bucks killed but if 86 inchers were dying I wouldnt classify that as "not very good" that's comparable to a 390-395 bull being killed.
  • Like 4

I don't know about the other bucks killed but if 86 inchers were dying I wouldnt classify that as "not very good" that's comparable to a 390-395 bull being killed.
Good point....and dont get me wrong, i will SMOKE an 86 inch buck as soon as the sun cracks on opening morning. I guess with that tag in that unit you always hope for the chance of seeing a true GIANT. And if its a down year that chance may not exist. If i wasnt told this info by who most regard to be the best of the best when it comes to antelope, Id take it with a grain of salt. Well see, heck I may miss out once again, after all i do ONLY have 24 points haha.

Were you the hunter? Do you remember when you could buy the permit and if they limited the number of hunters allowed on the ranch?

No I wasn't the hunter, and I didn't buy my permit until right before the hunt, but if I remember correctly there was a certain date that was set when you could get your permit before the hunt started. As far as I can remember there was no limit on the number of hunters or the number of helpers allowed. At $80 a head I think the ranch loves to see each hunter have his 10 person possey. Last year rumor had it that the Grimmets had at least 2 tags that they personally turned back in and told 3 others to turn their tags back in but you know how rumors go. I've only been on a few antelope hunts, 2 in 10, 1 in 19B, 1 in 5A and 1 in 4A and for me unit 10 was my least favorite but again that's just me. 10 has definitely produced some real hogs over the years and I'm sure there are still some in there but I just wasn't blown away. I will say Big Bo is a very good name for that ranch it is HUGE country. Good luck in whatever you decide.

No I wasn't the hunter, and I didn't buy my permit until right before the hunt, but if I remember correctly there was a certain date that was set when you could get your permit before the hunt started. As far as I can remember there was no limit on the number of hunters or the number of helpers allowed. At $80 a head I think the ranch loves to see each hunter have his 10 person possey. Last year rumor had it that the Grimmets had at least 2 tags that they personally turned back in and told 3 others to turn their tags back in but you know how rumors go. I've only been on a few antelope hunts, 2 in 10, 1 in 19B, 1 in 5A and 1 in 4A and for me unit 10 was my least favorite but again that's just me. 10 has definitely produced some real hogs over the years and I'm sure there are still some in there but I just wasn't blown away. I will say Big Bo is a very good name for that ranch it is HUGE country. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Thanks for the info. Eli told me that last year they had 1 hunter with that tag and they advised him to turn it back in.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Big Bo permit. Ridiculous amount of goats all over the ranch.

so if they were killing 86s and telling people turn tags in, what size were they hoping to get

Not sure.......and my 24 points werent enough to find out this year.

• Like 1