Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Driving to San Carlos MX?

SAN CARLOS MEX? Safe= Maybe, are you lucky or not. Distance = mapquest the road from PHX. Fill up at WHY. Road conditions = In MEX, the construction zone starts at the border. Be very very careful. :mellow:

San Carlos, Sonora? You could go through Why but that would be like driving to San Diego from Tucson and going through Flagstaff. Head South on 10. Then 19 southin Tucson. Once you cross stay on 15.

7hrs if you don't stop too often.

Currently there is a bunch of highway construction between Nogales and Santa Ana. South of Hermosillo as well. If this were not occurring I bet one could make it in 6 or 6.5hrs. Because of the construction I suggest daytime driving only.

Yes.

• Like 2

6.5 to 7 hrs from Tucson due to traffic in Hermosillo and road construction. Due it at least once a year and never have any problems. Dont speed through Hermosillo.

Sorry I had rocky point on my mind. Changes = dont fill up in WHY. Buy insurance. Learn exchange rate for dollars to pesos. Oh, and dont drink the water. :mellow:

Just got back from bass fishing by Obregon, a couple of hours past San Carlos. Went past San Carlos at 7am and hit the border at noon. It’s a free zone, so don’t need a truck permit. Get a free 7 day visa at 21KM, just say you’re a tourist. If you say your fishing they want to sell you a 180 day visa fo $30. Make sure you have enough pesos for the tolls, they don’t take US money there. I think there are 3-4 tolls at that point, you need about 400-450 pesos each way. You can put gas on a card as long as you tell the bank you’re going, or get a couple hundred dollars worth of pesos for gas, then you don’t have to figure what kind of exchange they’re giving you.

There are a lot of construction areas but it’s been worse. Drive during day and it’s as safe as anyplace in Phoenix.

• Like 6

Good point about exchanging money.

I buy pesos even when going to Rocky Point.

Just got back from bass fishing by Obregon, a couple of hours past San Carlos. Went past San Carlos at 7am and hit the border at noon. Its a free zone, so dont need a truck permit. Get a free 7 day visa at 21KM, just say youre a tourist. If you say your fishing they want to sell you a 180 day visa fo $30. Make sure you have enough pesos for the tolls, they dont take US money there. I think there are 3-4 tolls at that point, you need about 400-450 pesos each way. You can put gas on a card as long as you tell the bank youre going, or get a couple hundred dollars worth of pesos for gas, then you dont have to figure what kind of exchange theyre giving you.

There are a lot of construction areas but its been worse. Drive during day and its as safe as anyplace in Phoenix.

How was the fishing

Just got back from bass fishing by Obregon, a couple of hours past San Carlos. Went past San Carlos at 7am and hit the border at noon. Its a free zone, so dont need a truck permit. Get a free 7 day visa at 21KM, just say youre a tourist. If you say your fishing they want to sell you a 180 day visa fo $30. Make sure you have enough pesos for the tolls, they dont take US money there. I think there are 3-4 tolls at that point, you need about 400-450 pesos each way. You can put gas on a card as long as you tell the bank youre going, or get a couple hundred dollars worth of pesos for gas, then you dont have to figure what kind of exchange theyre giving you.

There are a lot of construction areas but its been worse. Drive during day and its as safe as anyplace in Phoenix.

Im sure that was quite the adventure with the person you got stuck driving with

• Like 1

Fishing was good, 3in the boat we averaged 90 per day. Our big fish of the week was 6#4oz, biggest in our group was 8#4oz. FYI the exchange rate is 17.3 to 1.