Sign in to follow this  
Eagle mountain ranch

Garage doors insulated / non insulated? Gauge ? Etc .

Mine are insulated house and shop. Shop has a/c and heat,but it has to be beneficial for both. Gauge i dont know.

• Like 1

Do not insulate unless you are insulating and air conditioning the whole space. No benefit at all to only insulate a non-sealed door with nothing else insulated(garage walls and ceilings are typically not insulated).

caveat: I have no idea where you live and my response is meant for the hot climate areas.

• Like 1

Do not insulate unless you are insulating and air conditioning the whole space. No benefit at all to only insulate a non-sealed door with nothing else insulated(garage walls and ceilings are typically not insulated).

caveat: I have no idea where you live and my response is meant for the hot climate areas.

Thanks for the info , I live right here in heck with the heat , Peoria Az

I just moved in the middle of this last year. My old house faced south and had insulated garage doors and my garage never got over the low 90s. My new house faces west and the garage doors are not insulated and it is incredible how much heat comes through the doors. I will have mine insulated before this coming summer. There are kits out there that you can buy. You won't keep all the heat out but you will keep a good portion out.

• Like 1

I just moved in the middle of this last year. My old house faced south and had insulated garage doors and my garage never got over the low 90s. My new house faces west and the garage doors are not insulated and it is incredible how much heat comes through the doors. I will have mine insulated before this coming summer. There are kits out there that you can buy. You won't keep all the heat out but you will keep a good portion out.

My house faces south good info , thank you

I do agree with Az about the west facing door. When the sun hits the metal panels it radiates in A LOT. With south facing I wouldn't waste my money. If in the future you want to cut out some of the radiating heat you can by the cheap inserts and DIY. I did that on my big garage that faces West and it does help quit a bit with the radiating heat. Overall temp in there is still 5000 degrees though....lol

I always wondered why builders don't install vents in the walls. My garage gets hot as he11 too. If there were just a couple vents to move the air I think it would lower the temps a bit.

Insulated with foil backed insulation. The only time I would say maybe not is if your garage was north facing and didn't get a lot of sun. That heat will radiate into your attic and house. Keep it outside.

So after my research and the help and input from everyone. I decided to go with the heavier gauge 24 , and insulated door . Thanks all . 24 gauge was only 100$ more and insulation was 160 more .

Good choice! The difference between summer is a hot room vs a baking hot oven