pahncho2121

Looking to upgrade my optics...

So I am currently running the Vortex Kiabab 15x56 and although can be slightly uncomfortable, I can glass for long days without a problem. I did notice on a recent hunt that one guy was picking up much more detail with his Swaro SLC 15x56 at greater distances. It might be in our eyes, but I am hoping it is in the equipment. I was looking for thoughts on upgrading on keeping my current binos and adding a spotter for detail at distance or just upgrading to the swaros? I backpack often so weight is a concern. Carrying three sets of optics (counting the pair on my chest) doesn't excite me. I did look through a 65mm STS and was impressed by the clarity. I spoke with the guys at Outdoorsmans about the BTX and they suggested that it made for a great accent piece to the binos but wasn't sufficient as a sole optic for closer distances. Any thoughts on my "dilemma"?

I bought into the 15x56 hype and while I use them alot I found I could find deer at great distances but couldn't make out detail. I had a Zeiss spotter that I sold to a member here and kicked my arse for getting rid of it. It later came up for sale and I got it back. I use Zeiss 15x56's and while they are comparable to the old SLC's they are not in the same league as the newer models.

I carry 3 sets of optics but for years used a good pair of 10x42's and the spotter. If I had it to do all over again I would buy the Swaro HD's and a cheaper spotter just to make out detail on long range animals. My 10x42's get more use than the others combined but I would feel lost without the 15's. If I had to let one set of optics go it would be the spotter.

I bought into the 15x56 hype and while I use them alot I found I could find deer at great distances but couldn't make out detail. I had a Zeiss spotter that I sold to a member here and kicked my arse for getting rid of it. It later came up for sale and I got it back. I use Zeiss 15x56's and while they are comparable to the old SLC's they are not in the same league as the newer models.

I carry 3 sets of optics but for years used a good pair of 10x42's and the spotter. If I had it to do all over again I would buy the Swaro HD's and a cheaper spotter just to make out detail on long range animals. My 10x42's get more use than the others combined but I would feel lost without the 15's. If I had to let one set of optics go it would be the spotter.

I have been leaning that way. I had a Vortex Viper spotter that was not clear at all. I left it behind because I never used it. I just chalked it up to lack of quality and was impressed at the swaro spotter. That said, it was used twice on an eight day backpacking hunt.

Dont forget optics4rent, site sponsor, still had some swaro sts65 HD spotters for $1600

I just bought his last pair of 15s. Cant wait for them to arrive.

• Like 1

Dont forget optics4rent, site sponsor, still had some swaro sts65 HD spotters for $1600

I just bought his last pair of 15s. Cant wait for them to arrive.

I bought some 15s from him in 2012 and they were perfect. Bought a spotter from him last year and it was like new in box as well. When I upgraded to 15 HD He didnt have any for sale at the time but I should of waited and saved $150. Todds great to work with and ships right away.

Buy a pair of swaro 12s and you won't need a chest pair and a pair in the backpack.

If you have the budget I think this setup would be hard to beat.

It depends on how you hunt. All I carry is 15's. I can find everything I could with 10's and way more. 10's lost their purpose for me, and I dumped them for weight savings.

• Like 2

In 15x56's of great quality keep the Steiner HX series and the Meopta MeoStar series in mind. Much less than the Swaro and darn close optically

• Like 1

If you can spring it , and this comes from a guy the uses 15x56 sworos , I would get the 12 el’s and be done . Trust me

I hadn't considered the 12's. I was worried since I have been using my 15's for the past couple years that I might miss the little extra power. To the ones carrying the 12's, are you also carrying a spotter or just the 12's?

I carry 12x50 ELs. They are the best 10+ power bino I have ever looked through (I hear the 10x50 ELs are great too). You only need a spotter if you want to get a better look at something. I used to carry 15x56s and you wont miss the extra power. I also have a spotter but I only carry it if I am looking far and chest carry my 12s. I did carry 8.5x42 with the 12s in the bag but switched to 8x32s to save weight. If you can do it get the 12s.