Sign in to follow this  
Shedhunteraz

Sons First Big Game hunt

Been waiting 10 years for this day. My son Gavin and i drew 23 pig tags this year. This would be his first big game hunt, he has been on probably 15 or more deer and elk hunts and has help pack out animals out of some of the nastiest country in 23 so this would be an adventure to say the least. Good grades allowed him to get of school early thursday and take friday off. Headed out friday am to some spots we know of up by our cabin. Weather was cold in am but could see the storm starting come in earlier than expected. We glassed for few hours not turning anything up. Went and checked couple other spots and couldn't find them there either. Went back to cabin for a breather and grab some lunch. Headed back out later that afternoon and was greeted by thunder snow storm. Well that pretty much shut the day down for good. Woke up the next morning and headed down to the south end of the unit. We had a good friend of ours there glassing one of my brother in laws spots he had found on his archery deer hunt in January. He was also on his way. Got to where dave was set up on a knob and he's like i got pigs. I was like great where at? Over there on the other side of the canyon at about 955. I asked Gavin you wanna go after them? He was like heck yeh. I warned him that doesn't look like to friendly of a hike them, we have to cut around this face and drop down that canyon and back up about 400 vertical feet. Are you sure? He says yes so we were off. About 30 minutes later we make it to where i think i can see them, and cant. Get dave on the radio and ask him they still there. Yes. We slowly move up the ridge and get to about 150yds from them. Lay the pack down get the gun ready and as gavin goes to set up wind swirls and they bust up the hill. Feeling dejected i try to reassure my son we will find them. Dave comes on radio and tells us they only went up the hill about 50 yds try and get up on the the knob behind us because we were in a saddle. So we move slowly up the hill and get high enough were i think we should see them and find them. Ranged them at 252. Threw the pack down on the ground set the gun up for my son. Get behind my glass and i hear i cant find them. Dial back the scope and he finds them. I cant find them again. Went to try and help him and he then tells me "just let me find them and shoot them". I was like ok, then boom. Smoked a decent size boar. Have our emotional moment and then it was off to get pics and see his first animal. Pack that thing up and back down that hill up the other side of this nasty canyon. We get back to the truck and my brother in law proceeds to tell me why did you shoot one way up there? That is the hardest i have ever seen anyone work for a pig. Not knowing, because this was our first pig hunt i just thought this was normal. Hindsight i would have much rather shot it closer to the truck but i taught my son another valuable lesson. He hunted hard and worked very hard for his first animal. I could not be more proud of him. He is with me on all my hunts minus the out of state ones, and is right there to pack out on our family's hunts and friends. I am a very blessed dad

post-8631-0-95109200-1519651638_thumb.jpg

post-8631-0-41698800-1519651652_thumb.jpg

post-8631-0-71740000-1519651671_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks for flipping those.

• Like 1

Congrats Gavin!

Now that's a pig hunt! Impressive that he was not only willing but wanted to put in the work. Sounds like your doing a great job. Congrats on a well earned pig and great shot too!