Coues assassin

Ever seen this javelina preparation?

My buddy was able to fill his first ever javelina tag this past Sunday on the general rifle hunt. I was getting ready to skin and quarter it when he tells me about this method of leaving the skin and just shaving the hair off. I have heard of this done with wild hogs but never a javelina, curious if anybody else does this?

post-11647-0-12086700-1519843324_thumb.jpgpost-11647-0-11216600-1519843346_thumb.jpg

Never seen that on a Hippolina before. But when I prepare one I typically do all I can to ensure the hide and hair come of quickly and do not come into contact with any of the meat. So to me leaving the hide on is counterintuitive.

What did he do about the scent gland on the back? And does the carcass still stink like a typical javelina?

Interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

• Like 2

Shaving pigs is usually performed so a person can eat the skin by deep frying or pickling. Since javelina skin is so thin not sure how well it would turn out. Curious about the flavor around the scent gland on the back though. I'll pass on this method as the skin would still have to come off to process the meat.

Mostly done with hogs so you can cook them whole. The skin protects the meat during long cook times usually in a large smoker or pit bbq. If it was gutted and kept cool it should be pretty good I would say. Let's see the end results and cook method. Nice work

I agree the toughest part is that the hide was on for a while but just depends, if you gut it and pack it in ice should be great. If it was just in the bed of a truck then the flavor might be off. I'm hoping it's good I'll go for this next year.

Never seen that on a Hippolina before. But when I prepare one I typically do all I can to ensure the hide and hair come of quickly and do not come into contact with any of the meat. So to me leaving the hide on is counterintuitive.

What did he do about the scent gland on the back? And does the carcass still stink like a typical javelina?

Interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

Yes they cut the scent gland out and not to sure on the stink will have to follow up with you on that after a taste test

Is the gland still on the back?[/size]

Looks like they cut it out. Was it singed as well?

Scent gland was cut off the back and torched pretty weird looking

post-11647-0-51146500-1519883467_thumb.jpg

It looks like a great way to SPREAD the funk.

I stick to skinning from snout to tail. Changing knifes and gloves Multiple times. Only then do I gut.

• Like 1