mfernaz

From field to the kitchen!

I just like seeing guys take stuff all the way through to table. Especially with these little guys. Helps break the false narrative attached to the meat. We do a Javelina Jalapeno sausage that is the best of the year every year. We call it the "Double soft J sausage".

Can I get the recipe for that? It sounds good.

I will take a photo when I get back on my feet and get it to you. It is something we've developed over the last 10 years, so it is hand written.

If you wouldn't mind, I too would love to have the recipe...

• Like 1

I have it in a vacuum sealed bag with a dry rub: salt, pepper, dehydrated garlic/onions, and some other herbs I had. It was in the fridge for 24 hours, than frozen until ready to smoke. Take and place in fridge night before. Defrost and to room temp then throw on smoker for 3-4 hours at 200°, will check at the 2 hour mark to make sure they aren't a crisp. Pull out at hour 3-4. Let cool to room temp, wrap in tin foil, back in the smoker for another hour at 225, then wet rub or brine what you call it. Yellow mustard, brown sugar, pepperccini juice and some suracha. Then back on at high temp to glaze.

Hopefully it's good.

So you are handling them like a traditional Pork rib. It will be interesting to see if they handle it. I'm guessing jerky, but who knows! Pictures please!

• Like 1

It may come out lime jerky, thinking it might not have to cook as long. Thinking of cooking them this Sunday will add pictures and updates.

Where's the photos???

Where's that sausage recipe?

Where's the photos???

Okay I'm going to wing this off of memory:

First we use the High Country Polish kit as a base.-- https://shop.hicountry.com/dinner-style-sausage-kits-p21.aspx

Second we use one grilled Jalepeno per one pound of finished product with seeds ground medium course in food procceser

2 Tbsp of Caraway seed

2 Tbsp of Cumin

One packet of the High Country Powdered Smoke (Applewood)

2 bundles of cilantro ground up in the food processor

Mix all ingredients on clean stripped or cubed meat before running through grinder

3 pounds of salt cured bacon (no sugar) the cheaper the better (We run Costco bacon)

Keep the bacon Frozen and chop into small pieces and add as you are grinding the javelina

If done right it should go in as you are grinding and both products should run out at similar time.

Then place in plastic tub to mix thoroughly, and then stuff in the natural casings that come with the kit. (They should be soaking for an hour before in warm water)

3 adult Javelina will make about 22 to 26 lbs of finished product. That is generally what we do.

• Like 1

Where's the photos???

Haven't had a chance to cook them up, picked up some shifts at work. Will hopefully get them in the smoker this week.

Where's the photos???

Okay I'm going to wing this off of memory:

First we use the High Country Polish kit as a base.-- https://shop.hicountry.com/dinner-style-sausage-kits-p21.aspx

Second we use one grilled Jalepeno per one pound of finished product with seeds ground medium course in food procceser

2 Tbsp of Caraway seed

2 Tbsp of Cumin

One packet of the High Country Powdered Smoke (Applewood)

2 bundles of cilantro ground up in the food processor

Mix all ingredients on clean stripped or cubed meat before running through grinder

3 pounds of salt cured bacon (no sugar) the cheaper the better (We run Costco bacon)

Keep the bacon Frozen and chop into small pieces and add as you are grinding the javelina

If done right it should go in as you are grinding and both products should run out at similar time.

Then place in plastic tub to mix thoroughly, and then stuff in the natural casings that come with the kit. (They should be soaking for an hour before in warm water)

3 adult Javelina will make about 22 to 26 lbs of finished product. That is generally what we do.

Thanks, I am going to make some here in the next week or so. I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is the best batch we've made yet. We did a few extra roasted Jalapenos. Incredible sausage