Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

Ammonia?

Ran into an old timer at the range sighting in his 300 winy build. We got to chatting so I asked him what he cleaned his barrels with? He responded with "a wet patch of ammonia followed by 3 wet patches of water, followed by a wet patch of Isopropanol, that's it. If storing the rifle, the last pass is with a wet oil patch he ended with.

Any pros and cons feedback from you guys? Any adverse affects to a stainless barrel? Curious....

Probably will remove powder fouling, but not copper, and I wouldn't be all that sure about powder residue without some evidence based on a bore scope examination.

• Like 1

The active ingredient in most all of the copper solvents out there now is ammonia, left to sit in carbon steel barrels it will leach out the carbon in the surface. Ive used it straight to de foul barrels after shooting Barnes bullets with a regular solvent behind it as it will remove all the oil from the bore so corrosion could be an issue. Ammonia by itself won't touch carbon fouling which is why most of the current popular solvents are a blend ( cr 10 is 10% ammonia etc.).

• Like 1

Ammonia will absolutely remove copper. If left to sit in the barrel too long it can pit the metal though. That's why the shooter you saw was using the follow up patches.

I just use wipeout now, much simpler and very effective based on bore scope viewing.

I just use wipeout now, much simpler and very effective based on bore scope viewing.

Yeah, that's what I do, too.