MuggyMan

Kaibab - early vs. late hunt?

Now that my 2018 elk dreams have been shattered, my thoughts turn to deer. Thinking I want to start applying for Kaibab hunts. For those with experience there, do you recommend early or late hunts and why? What are the pros and cons of each?

• Like 2

Both can be great hunts. The early hunt scouting is much more effective before the deer move down to the winter range, but harder to kill as most of the time deer are in the pines during the hunt. On the late hunt scouting is much harder to do until right before the hunt as the bucks are moving, yet you are hunting rutting mule deer and some days it is off the charts. Depending on how many points you have, would determine what I would tell you to do. If less than 6-7 points I would tell you to do 12AW late first choice and 12AW early second choice. If you have 10+ points you might want to wait for a 12AW late tag as your only choice.

I hope that helps. You can send me an email directly if you want to see some pictures from both hunts last year @ shoot@highpointoutfitters.net

Don't loose the faith on getting an elk tag, still a few days before it is all over with credit cards. Good luck in the draw.

• Like 3

Spend lots of time on the bab, I personally call it home. Some years there isnt much difference in the late hunt to the early hunt however some years there is a huge difference!!! The late hunt is always my first choice ether east or west. If the rut is going during your hunt get ready for the hunt of a lifetime. You will see more deer in a day then most people that hunt mule deer see in a year. The early hunt on the west side has a lot of tags so you have a lot more people to compete with. The late hunt there are between 100-130 tags on the late hunt and you would be shocked how many hunters are filled out and have gone home by day 4. Do to the amount of tags my opinion is the late hunt is. Much better tag then the early. You will wait much longer to draw it however. Good luck in the upcoming deer draw and pm me if you get a tag.

• Like 1

me too lots of time on the north rim. for unit 12aw I like the early hunt only because we have seen some huge resident bucks in the sage all year long. usually right at the south west end of rattlesnake canyon. little rough hiking but a really good.

too many people hunt the pines for me.

• Like 1

Either tag is an experience.

Big bucks are killed on both hunts.

Small deer are killed on both hunts.

Big deer are killed up top on both hunts.

Big deer are killed low on both hunts.

Big deer are NOT behind every tree on either hunt.

You can hunt as hard or as easy as you want on either hunt. That will effect the quality of deer taken however. If you hunt hard, get away from roads, know how to glass, and can pass mature bucks and wait for a big buck, the chances of killing a big buck will arise.

Long shots are possible, but So now busting a buck from 20 yards.

Could be 70s one day and snowing the next. But could also never get above 25°.

Wind is usually present.

Start working up a load with non-lead ammo now so you are not scrambling with only a month or 2 if you draw an early tag.

• Like 3

Either tag is an experience.

Big bucks are killed on both hunts.

Small deer are killed on both hunts.

Big deer are killed up top on both hunts.

Big deer are killed low on both hunts.

Big deer are NOT behind every tree on either hunt.

You can hunt as hard or as easy as you want on either hunt. That will effect the quality of deer taken however. If you hunt hard, get away from roads, know how to glass, and can pass mature bucks and wait for a big buck, the chances of killing a big buck will arise.

Long shots are possible, but So now busting a buck from 20 yards.

Could be 70s one day and snowing the next. But could also never get above 25°.

Wind is usually present.

Start working up a load with non-lead ammo now so you are not scrambling with only a month or 2 if you draw an early tag.

Thanks Lance. If I draw a tag I will contact you.

• Like 1

Spend lots of time on the bab, I personally call it home. Some years there isnt much difference in the late hunt to the early hunt however some years there is a huge difference!!! The late hunt is always my first choice ether east or west. If the rut is going during your hunt get ready for the hunt of a lifetime. You will see more deer in a day then most people that hunt mule deer see in a year. The early hunt on the west side has a lot of tags so you have a lot more people to compete with. The late hunt there are between 100-130 tags on the late hunt and you would be shocked how many hunters are filled out and have gone home by day 4. Do to the amount of tags my opinion is the late hunt is. Much better tag then the early. You will wait much longer to draw it however. Good luck in the upcoming deer draw and pm me if you get a tag.

Thanks. I will.

If you draw early or late there is no funnier hunt than the Bab.We hunt low every year we are lucky enough to draw.You will see more deer every day as the hunt goes and many days 100 deer or more.As has been said not a 200 inch buck behind every tree.But you will see a lot of very nice bucks.I like the late hunt but don't want to wait 6 to 10 years for a tag,so its my first choice and early 2nd.Have drawn 2 out of the last 3 years early.One 185 28 inch 4x4 and one 7x4 24 inch 160.Just draw a tag and have some fun!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

If you draw early or late there is no funnier hunt than the Bab.We hunt low every year we are lucky enough to draw.You will see more deer every day as the hunt goes and many days 100 deer or more.As has been said not a 200 inch buck behind every tree.But you will see a lot of very nice bucks.I like the late hunt but don't want to wait 6 to 10 years for a tag,so its my first choice and early 2nd.Have drawn 2 out of the last 3 years early.One 185 28 inch 4x4 and one 7x4 24 inch 160.Just draw a tag and have some fun!!!!!!!!

6-10 years for late kaibab is really good.

• Like 1

If you talk to the G&F the early hunt is more of a management hunt. There are lots of smaller bucks killed on that hunt. I have had the early hunt twice and killed average bucks both times. Good bucks for most units but only average up there. I have also gone up with a friend on a late hunt years ago and they killed the biggest buck on the west side that year. It was in Muley Crazy magazine that year. And it was complete luck. There was zero scouting involved. I put in for the west side early and late every year and then just pick up a leftover tag down south when I don't draw. One of these years I may get lucky and draw the late tag and hold out for a real big one.

• Like 1

I have 11 points. How good are My odds for late hunt? I think I would be gaurenteed early hunt. Thanks in advance for any info or Ideas. I must add buddies all say wait for strip tag ,but at 62 ,I may never see it. I would be tickled with late west bab.......BOB!

I have 11 points. How good are My odds for late hunt? I think I would be gaurenteed early hunt. Thanks in advance for any info or Ideas. I must add buddies all say wait for strip tag ,but at 62 ,I may never see it. I would be tickled with late west bab.......BOB!

Looks like you are about 4 years behind the curve on 12aw late and about 7 years back on a 13b.

post-2932-0-93259800-1524650865_thumb.pngpost-2932-0-75797600-1524650876_thumb.png

• Like 1