Flatlander

Late Archery Bull... Whose been successful?

I have had a few late archery tags throughout the years. Killed a nice bull on the last one. We chose to spot and stalk because it rained the week before and changed everything. We saw lots of bulls but not much that we were willing to go after or they were in a place that we weren't willing to go. They will bugle some and if there happens to be a cow that didn't get bred on the first cycle they could be running with cows still. That is how I found my bull.

Here is a picture of my bull.

attachicon.gifIMG_0007.JPG

I have seen this picture before but this is the first time I noticed you shot him in the head. LOL How did that happen?

Cant you use point guard if you screwed up? Dont you have a bunch of points flatlander?

Yes I could pointguard, but since I had a tag last year there really isnt any reason to.

Cant you use point guard if you screwed up? Dont you have a bunch of points flatlander?

Yes I could pointguard, but since I had a tag last year there really isnt any reason to.

Ahhh. Didnt realize you burned points last year. If youve only got your two permanent points in the ring on it Id go huntin.

Andrew, it all depends on the unit you draw. With the season starting a week later, with Thanksgiving in the middle of the hunt, winter storms can make this a very tuff hunt in the higher elevation units. All though last year was an exceptional warm hunt with water holes drying up. Most of my success has been hunting water. A game warden once told me these elk need water just as much in the winter as they do in the summer and I agree. :)

TJ

• Like 2

I could be your long lost son.....and you could sign it over if you really don't want to hunt that late archery hunt!!!

Best of luck to you on that hunt!!!

There are many right now wishing they had a late archery tag I bet. :)

TJ

• Like 3

My late archery bulls look a lot more humble, but they taste just as good.

• Like 3

I got one years back when you had to use paper apps for a few years. It was a data entry error, we did not apply for that hunt. We took the attitude of who's complaining, it's a bull tag. Ended up doing alot of complaining on the hunt. There had already been archery, muzzle loader and general hunts. The elk were very on edge and easily spooked. Mornings were below 20 degrees. I remember having to thaw out my canned peaches on the stove. Dressed for that weather it was more difficult to draw a bow. I like to stalk but it was very dry and noisy. Ended up sitting water, not my favorite thing to do. It was one of only a couple of elk hunts where me and my partner both got skunked.

• Like 2

I agree with tjhunt2. Elk still have to water every day, my mules drink more water in the winter than they do in the summer.I took this bull on water last year on a late archery hunt .not a giant but still a fun hunt post-6031-0-69405400-1520481334.jpg

• Like 3

Great bulls guys. I am starting to be a little more encouraged.

Did you guys all hunt the full 14 days? I wont be able to take anywhere near that long, but since thanksgiving weekend is in there I should be able to string a few together.

I hunted a full week. Saw the bull on Wednesday and ended up getting him on Friday evening. By the way the arrow in the back of the head was the follow up shot. The first shot was a perfect broadside shot at 15 yards. But he was still standing so I was flinging arrows and miss judged the distance. I can tell you that the entire mountain comes alive when you shoot a bull in the head. It was like smacking two 2x4's together.

• Like 2

I had 2 late hunts and filled both tags. Both sitting water in the evening. Did some spot and stalk in the mornings. It was definitely cold but hey, that's hunting! One thing I liked is you pretty much have the woods to yourself!

• Like 2