Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Box Call or Pot Call?

I have box calls but am thinking about getting a pot call but don't know anything about the differences/benefits of the different surfaces.

Go to the turkey seminars and try them out. Slightly different sounds means a different hen to the tom.

If Ammon is doing a seminar, he'll have several to choose from (recommended).

• Like 1

I carry a lot of different calls with me diagram calls, box calls made with different types of wood, pot calls (crystal, glass, slate, copper and aluminum) with different types of strikers, a trumpet call (7000 hour call) and my newest this year will be a tongue call. If they aren't answering one I'll switch calls to see what calls they might answer too. I find it easier to get the kee kee calls of a turkey out of the aluminum and copper pot calls.

• Like 1

Go to the turkey seminars and try them out. Slightly different sounds means a different hen to the tom.

If Ammon is doing a seminar, he'll have several to choose from (recommended).

I have one of his box calls I got in 2014. I tried out a few he had with him during a seminar and like the sound of this one. I have called in one Merriams and a Goulds with it and I am going to Oklahoma next month to hunt Rio's and wanted another call to try.

I carry every call possible. Ive been known to sound like a demo booth at times. Its like fishing man. Keep throwing sh!t out there and see what works haha

Pot, I can control volume and the cutting easier than a box. But I also think the pot requires more skill.

I carry a lot of different calls with me diagram calls, box calls made with different types of wood, pot calls (crystal, glass, slate, copper and aluminum) with different types of strikers, a trumpet call (7000 hour call) and my newest this year will be a tongue call. If they aren't answering one I'll switch calls to see what calls they might answer too. I find it easier to get the kee kee calls of a turkey out of the aluminum and copper pot calls.

As much as it pains me to agree with Bill today ( :P ), this right here is the best. I carry one box, 2-3 pots, four diaphragms, and even a couple of push buttons. I find the sound they like and go with it. Having said that, I'm much better with a pot call than a box call, but I need to get a good box call (hint, hint, Bill).

• Like 2

I only carry two different box calls. Never needed to carry anything else.

• Like 1

My calling seminar is scheduled for thursday April 12th at Sportsman's Warehouse in Mesa. As far as a first pot call goes I would probably recommend starting with a slate call. Easiest to use and learn on.

• Like 2

Thanks Ammon. I hit the road on the 11th, I have a lot of faith in the box call I bought from you.

• Like 1

Thanks Ammon. I hit the road on the 11th, I have a lot of faith in the box call I bought from you.

You can and should order a pot or two from Ammon to take with you imho.

it easy to identify me in the turkey woods.

camo pack.jpg

Congrats! You didn't tell me you went on a diet!

its an illusion from the big pack giving you the impression I've lost weight. BTW those Moscow Mule's didn't help.

ITS AN