Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Federal TSS

Does anyone use these? I'm always looking for a little tighter pattern in my ancient Mossberg 500.

post-3883-0-64964700-1520276970_thumb.jpg

It has screw in chokes. Originally it had a 28" modified barrel when I bought it in the 70's. About 15 years later I bought a 26" VR Barrel with chokes and it eventually became my coyote gun. I bought a .660 Turkey choke (Primos Tightwad ?) last year but it didn't give me the pattern I'd hoped for at 40 yards which is what my last two kills were at.

Check out the Cabela's HevyShot turkey choke tube that is designed for non-lead turkey shot. I love it in my Rem 1187 and its a rather inexpensive choke tube.

My daughter uses the HS Strut ported Undertaker in her 20 and it patterns great with Heavy Shot, too.

I also have some Hornady 12 ga 3" turkey loads that I don't use. I think they're #5 shot, nickel plated, but I'll have to verify that. If they are what you want (event to test), I can even get it to the valley easy enough thanks to soccer tournaments. In fact, I'll be at Reach 11 and Fear farm this weekend.

I would definitely look at different chokes instead of different ammo. However my level of expertise when shotgun is concerned as far lower than anything else.

how many pellets are you getting in a 10" circle with these loads? the Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend 3" should work well with your set up.

what chokes do you have with the new barrel? did it come with the xx full choke? you may want to try Winchester Supreme High Velocity #5's out of any of your full chokes.

Didn't no to use 7 shot, I never used anything over 4 shot, good to know.

Pattern it. You might be surprised that it sucks or its awesome. Its an awesome load from the look of it. Small heavy shot is wicked. I shoot 7 shot lead for pheasants and it will go clear through a roosters head at 60 yards. Im confident these hevi shot 7s would do the same to a turkeys head at that range. Dont fall for the big pellet scam. 1 pellet kills a turkey but you need to have a swarm of them to get one in the right place especially at distance.

I haven't seen that ammo before. I ended up with a Tru-Glo Gobble Stopper for my Browning. Tightest choke out there and I like the straight rifling groves in it, plus the ported end. I've killed 2 birds at 70 yards with 3 1/2" heavyshot #7.

• Like 1

TSS=Tungsten Super Shot-completely different than heavy shot, blends, or lead. Smaller shot=more pellets and the TSS is higher weight density than steel or lead giving you the down range KE needed to be an effective killing load. As with anything you'd need to pattern it but I have seen and heard of very few that have had bad results. I personally would look for TSS-9's if you were going to go all in and it is legal in the state you plan on hunting. TSS used to only be available in hand loads but Federal, Nitro, and APEX all are commercially manufacturing it now.

• Like 4

TSS=Tungsten Super Shot-completely different than heavy shot, blends, or lead. Smaller shot=more pellets and the TSS is higher weight density than steel or lead giving you the down range KE needed to be an effective killing load. As with anything you'd need to pattern it but I have seen and heard of very few that have had bad results. I personally would look for TSS-9's if you were going to go all in and it is legal in the state you plan on hunting. TSS used to only be available in hand loads but Federal, Nitro, and APEX all are commercially manufacturing it now.

Now you've got me interested! But then I've learned to trust your judgement!

• Like 1

Thanks for your input, the only shot restriction where I will be (Oklahoma) is nothing larger than BB.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!! Now youve got me researching this stuff to handload some wicked duck loads with those 9s!!

• Like 1

Well I finished up my Oklahoma hunt today Three birds in two days. They were 18, 30 and 38 yards. All dropped on the spot.

• Like 2