Sign in to follow this  
mickeyelk

Antleope unit 8 hunt.

Hi, brand new to this forum and was reading some of the previous posts about antelope hunting in unit 8, I was wondering, which map would be the best to use for road access and maybe some concentration and migration movements. The wife and I plan on taking a trip soon to unit 8 and looking at getting a head start on it. Also, if known, where private property is so we can stay away from it. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. I also drew a Unit 8 late bull elk tag. Thanks Kerry

• Like 1

Google Earth is your friend, most lopes won’t move far so no real migration but will roam to find does, private property isn’t really an issue and is clearly marked (Devil Dog Rd and surrounding Garland Prarie areas), get up there and look around. Best advice I can give you is to not overlook the non traditional looking lope areas around or near the open country. 8 has a tendancy to grow some big tree goats. Good luck and hope you’ll return and share pics if you’re successful.

Lots of private land around garland prairie. Last year a few guys got in trouble for shooting too close to houses. Scouting now to learn the area is good but the bucks really seem to move around during the rut. Good luck on your hunt!

I think the travel management map would be a good idea so that you knew which roads you are allowed to drive on. Altough most are marked, some are not so that map is a must in my opinion along with a flatline. Google earth will help, but a travel management map is still important

on lopes a map isnt worth a crap. google earth then start driving around

This sounds like a fantastic plan. Especially in areas with private land and private roads.

• Like 1

on lopes a map isnt worth a crap. google earth then start driving around

This sounds like a fantastic plan. Especially in areas with private land and private roads.

I dont know, Ive been hunting unit 8 for a long time and all the private areas I have seen have very few lopes and are all marked at every entrance.

That being said I dont hunt the garland prairie area never have.