Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

Good Lord....What Is Wrong With ME???

Huge thanks to Yotebuster. I was going to buy a used March F1 3-24×52 last night, and got too busy. Yotebuster and I have been talking about the March line for a while, and he PMed me this morning about it. He got us both a good discount, and saved me 20% on a new one, making it $100 cheaper than the used one. So we both pulled the trigger on a new March this morning. Thanks Ben!

• Like 5

Sounds right. My experience is limited but what I am seeing in addition to loose primer pockets with Nosler, is incipient case head sep. just beginning after 7 loads. I am on 13 loads with Lapua, and no ICHS yet. Could happen the next time I shoot it, but that is still pretty decent life. And Lapua is cheaper.

forepaw

Parts/components are starting to make their way in...

20180316_154129_zpsh4toqk2u.jpg

6CM w 110 SMK vs 6.5SLR W 140 HVLD

20180317_111543_zpsf4tkgtqq.jpg

Meplat is pretty pointed on the 110 SMK, but not really any more than the 6.5mm 142. I know the 6.5mm 142 SMK works great on game from jackrabbit to mule deer.

20180317_112319_zpsazhhzght.jpg

T-B: 6mm 110 SMK, 6.5MM 142 SMK, 6.5MM 150 SMK

20180317_112420_zpsms4w2rm0.jpg

• Like 1

Lance

do you just neck down your brass? or is there other steps involved like trimming or turning the necks. My next built will either be The 6 creedmoor or the Dasher.

For that one dummy round, I just took a FL sized Hornady case, and necked it down with a .291" bushing that I use for my 6.5SLR/6.5CM/6.5SS. Then, an intermediate bushing to .285" that I use for .25-06AI, then I bought a .270" & .271" bushing fpr the die set. I am not sure what the Lapua brass neck thickness will be, but the Hornady was only .014", and the .271" barely held the bullet. The .270" held neck tension better. Hopefully, the Lapua will be .015"-.016" neck thickness.

Everything is for sale for the right price.

I will beat the price of the new Gunwerks CoPilot when it is done....

• Like 2

Man they are sure proud of that CoPIlot, perfect gun for riding around in the truck! Ha Looking forward to seeing this projects progression.

Just curious why you chose the 6CM over the 6XC And 6x47l? I think it would be a tough choice. Just wanted to hear your thoughts behind it.

All 3 were considered. All 3 were actually 3 of the 4 I was looking at. The other was the 6SLR. The .243 Win has too short of neck and the 20° shoulder does not interest me. The AI version has a better shoulder, but still retains the short neck. Which is why the 6SLR peaked my interests so much more.

I have a .223, two 6.5mms, two 7mms, and a big .30 magnum. I wanted something with lighter recoil, decent barrel life, and smaller for medium game/LR varmints/and LR steel. .243/6mm fits that bill. I thought about another .257 of some kind, but the 115 6mm has better BC than a 115 .257". Plus, .257" short case rounds are extremely limited. .250-3000 Savage (or .250AI which was a sweetheart round for me for years), .257 Roberts (or .257AI) for the most part.

I wanted something that would fit in an AI mag without pushing the bullet too far back in the case. So the 6SLR was the first on the chopping block. Could have fit with the 95 or the 105s probably, but the 105s, 110s, and especially the 115s would be seated fairly deep.

That left 6x47L, 6XC, and 6CM. I also wanted to try and hit close to 2950-3000 with a relatively short barrel in a 105. The added case capacity of the 6CM should help that some. But I know some guys that get 3100 w. 105s in the 6x47L w. 26" barrel, so that gave me hope.

Next was case availability. I wanted to run Lapua brass. Another reason the 6SLR was eliminated due to the case design and prep work needed to use Lapua brass. Lapua does not make 6XC brass. The 6XC was on my short list for quite a while even without Lapua availability. I have recently heard of some issues with consistency with the 6XC brass however. So...that dropped it to #3 on the list.

6x47L (6.5x47L case necked down) Lapua brass was really promising with the small primer pocket. Plus, the cartridge is renowned for its accuracy. But, smaller case capacity still was nagging at me. Sure would not burn out a barrel very fast though.

Everyone and their brother is on the 6.5CM fan train. So I really shy away from the cartridge. Really nothing that the .260 Rem, 6.5x47L, 6.5x55 Swede, etc. wouldn't do, and some do it better or faster. But...Hornady is a genius in marketing, and the availability of high quality factory loaded ammo made it popular overnight. I have loaded for 6 different 6.5CM, and they do usually shoot really well once you find that recipe. To me....It is better suited for the 140 range than the 6.4x47L.

Then....Lapua came out with a small rifle primer 6.5CM case....making it quite a bit more desireable as the case of choice. Not a few others are doing that too. Meaning the extra case capacity over the 6.5x47L is a viable reason to go that route. Plus, some companies are making 6CM headstamped brass, and factory ammo now.

So the case that ticks the most boxes is the 6CM for me.

1. Great brass. One pass of 6.5CM brass through a 6CM die and viola. 6CM cases ready to load.

2. Slightly better case capacity for better speed possibilities. I will have 2 loads. A hot hunting load, and a target/varmint load to be shot a lot. I can load down to 6x47L speeds, but not vice versa.

3. With all of the popularity of the 6.5CM, even though Lapua SR brass might be a bit hard to find right now, I am sure it will be around for a long time. Plus, with the rising popularity growing, 6CM Lapua brass might be right around the corner.

4. The Creedmoor is a decently inherently accurate round. Similar to the 6XC and 6x47L.

5. AxisWorks has a 6CM reamer on hand. They also have a 6x47L reamer. No 6XC or 6SLR reamers though.

I thought about a 6SST for a while too, because it would make a stellar medium game hunting round. But I bet barrel life @ 3400fps would be as short as some of the big overbore super magnums. I have a few of those, and I like being able to put a lot of rounds downrange. Same thing with cases like .243AI, 6mmAI, 6-06, and a bunch of others.

• Like 1

Big thanks to TruArms (Douglas-gun-guy) for the action. Should be here in a couple weeks.

Hes a good dude!!!

• Like 1