Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Tire change Improve towing?

In need of new tires this summer and wondering if a change in tire would make any difference towing? Ive done the 35s the last 2 sets and willing to consider something else if it would help. Certain hills up north it bogs down to barely 40 mph and really struggles just towing my ranger, has over heated my transmission twice before getting tranny cooler. Its been suggested to me that is what to expect with big heavy tires.

Truck: 2006 F150 5.4L super crew, 6 lift, 35x12.5x18 tires (never regeared to my knowledge)

Accessories: cold air intake, exhaust, tonneau cover, transmision cooler, edge evo programmer

A diesel on top of a Ford? Might as well throw in an extra wife!

Gearing is probably the life changer here, youve gone up enough tire size that this would be the real game changer. Just my experience.

Thats whats frustrating with gas trucks. I want to sell my diesel so bad and buy a tundra until I hear stories like this.

I have a 4dr f150 with the 5.0 and I tow my rhino and similar weight just fine up the hills. The big tires really put a strain on the tranny which is likely the issue you are having.

Any fuel pump/line issues? I had a 1997? GMC lifted/tires like that, that at times really lagged pulling hills going to and from Flagstaff. Was told I needed tranny work, had that done and still had issues. New fuel pump and it was like a brand new truck.

I drive a similar truck stock. I drag a full camping load with a ranger in the trailer at 65 to flag or the rim with out issue with out horse wiping it.

Thats whats frustrating with gas trucks. I want to sell my diesel so bad and buy a tundra until I hear stories like this.

Just don't put 35s on it. Profit

• Like 1

I have a Chevy Silverado with the 6.2 and when I put bigger tires on it was amazing how much power I lost. It just seems like the tires shouldn't be able to have that much affect on the performance but it does. Not to mention the loss in mpg.

I have a Chevy Silverado with the 6.2 and when I put bigger tires on it was amazing how much power I lost. It just seems like the tires shouldn't be able to have that much affect on the performance but it does. Not to mention the loss in mpg.

Looks>performance

• Like 1

I guess to be fair mine is a 4dr 2010 5.4 with. 6speed 3.55 gears. but I do t have any heat issues. I feels like I could do 80 towing if I wanted to.