Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

How do you store your trout?

Thanks to you guys weve been killing it on stockers. Ive been gutting them and putting about 6 or 7 with heads and some without in freezer bags and putting some water in and squeezing the air out and throwing in the freezer. What do you do and how long does it keep?

Cold smoked trout is amazing. Can't store it long enough before it all gets eaten!

I scrape the scale off which also removes the slime coat, rinse and pat dry. Then wrap in plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag.

If you have the time smoke it all then freeze it in vacuum sealed bags!

I thought about going this route.

with lemon pepper and an orange slice in my belly.....

I was always taught to freeze them after drying them off, not wet or in water.

The internet is all over the place with advice. Ive read ice is good and that ice is bad. Right now im just using enough water to get all the air out but i don't know if that's good or not..

• Like 1

I scrape the scale off which also removes the slime coat, rinse and pat dry. Then wrap in plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag.

Are you always supposed to remove the slime? I was told just cook em scales and all. MAybe thats why the wife saif they tasted like pond water the first time I ever made them. Lol

FYI we have 5 kids and me and my wife both have licenses. Just in case anyone wonders if I'm stockpiling above the legal limit. Tags, Tax time and fish limits... the three times having a grip of kids really pays off!

they taste like pond water no matter what, unless you smoke them. but i can never get all the bones out.

Check out the video someone posted a couple of weeks ago.

Get the family fishing license, saves a few $$. Or so I am told. The slime coat left on can add a fishy taste.

Get the family fishing license, saves a few $$. Or so I am told. The slime coat left on can add a fishy taste.

Or maybe because it is FISH.....lol

The citrus helps with the fishy taste too ( I think).

A pat of butter, some salt pepper and seasoning rubbed in and a citrus slice on the inside. Wrapped in tinfoil or cooked over a flame. 5 star pond cuisine.

Dangit Kev...now I want to go fishing......

Vaccum seal with a FoodSaver, they will keep fine for over a year.

I like to cook mine in teriyaki sauce sometimes if you are looking for a flavor change. Also try using the very small little black combs with the fine teeth to get the small rib bones out, it works ok.