Sign in to follow this  
metau

ATV vs UTV vs 4Runner/Samuri/Etc

Atv =98 Suzuki 300 king quad my work mule. Hauls elk out of those nasty places you dont want to pack one out of.

Utv = 10 Polaris 800 ranger my toy. Gets around fast, safe and comfortable for friends and family.

Truck =01 f250 crew 7.3. put atv in bed, tow toy haul with utv in it and Im set up for a great, comfortable, fun adventure.

So its simple dont buy new. Do you research and over the next _ years get all three.

Samurai all the way ! We have a couple of them, they are amazingly durable if you stay within the limits ( read as 31" inch tires etc.) mine goes any where I point it and it has a heater and roll up windows ! I think if you are a little handy with the tools you can have a really nice one for around $4000 and there is huge aftermarket support for them. I'm on my second set of all terrains and I usually around 22-23mpg in the dirt at 7000'

• Like 1

How many are hunting with you?

Many a cj-5,7 and wrangler with real doors hard top heat -ac. Unstoppable and creature comforts. Wife and I both hunt. 2 bows, 2 packs,optics,bla bla food etc. Paint to get in and out and retain creature comforts.

Switched to xj cherokee with small lift. Turn on a dime, wheel like a jeep,creature comforts and 4 doors to get equipment out of easy. Cant tow nothing big.

Hunted last 2 years out of f150 4door 4x. lots of power and room and can tow, but cant get me where i want to go without taking along quad with us.

Just bought a rhino after swearing up and down I would never ever ever buy a side by. Jury is still out, but the few trips so far have been good. Dust sucks but enjoying the fresh air. Ask me in January I will tell you otherwise i am sure.

Now how to get it up north and in the desert without buying a toy hauler.

Get what will work the best for you and your hunting crew and future crew. Only you can make that choice. They all have their advantages in some way or the other. Factor in all the hunting gear you take with you times your hunting crew. Can you lock it up if you dont take it with you? Lots of scenarios to think about. Or just buy multiple toys and be in debt forever.

I would pick the samurai route. Mine fits in my toyhauler and its street legal. I also use it as a grocery getter on the weekends to keep the engine running and not just sitting for weeks on end (like I used to do with my atv)

I think .... who is going with you, is a big factor!

For (2) people, you'll need 2 quads. 2 people get to drive. UTV....good to go. Runs forever. 1 driver, but some like to drive more than others?

Truck...With a shell, you can do anything, if your good with driving the rough country. How often do you plan to drive rough country. Are you okay with the $$ to upkeep? If moderate areas, a truck and shell can get you everything! Maybe not the fun as the other two? Fun, or practical?

For (2) people, you'll need 2 quads. 2 people get to drive. UTV....good to go. Runs forever. 1 driver, but some like to drive more than others?

Truck...With a shell, you can do anything, if your good with driving the rough country. How often do you plan to drive rough country. Are you okay with the $$ to upkeep? If moderate areas, a truck and shell can get you everything! Maybe not the fun as the other two? Fun, or practical?

I have a truck with a shell. My dad and I sold our ranger because I never used it, opting to take the truck. My truck is not the ideal hunting rig, beinf a 3/4 diesel but with Bilstein shocks, its never let me down.

I have a truck with a shell. My dad and I sold our ranger because I never used it, opting to take the truck. My truck is not the ideal hunting rig, beinf a 3/4 diesel but with Bilstein shocks, its never let me down.

Im still cleaning the dust out of my pack zippers from that trip with you a few years back!

I have the same dilemma. There is no perfect solution. Funny how folks buy a side x side, then close in the cab, add heat...like a jeep. Folks have jeeps and take off the top, take off the doors...like a side x side.

Ive never ridden in a Jeep or samurai that didnt beat the sh!t out of you. If you want the smoothest fastest ride get a side by side.

• Like 7

Im still cleaning the dust out of my pack zippers from that trip with you a few years back!

I believe it. Something about that ranger, it was bad.

• Like 1

post-6031-0-65481000-1521783659_thumb.jpgI've tried a lot of different rigs from atv's ,jeeps, bronco's Toyota landcruiser, and all kinds of trucks. I have a geo tracker right now and I love it, They have independent suspention so they ride a lot better than a samurai,they also have power steering,

• Like 3

Ive never ridden in a Jeep or samurai that didnt beat the sh!t out of you. If you want the smoothest fastest ride get a side by side.

What he said. yes you do have to have a trailer but not that big of a deal.

• Like 1