regisranger

Unit 10 Early Archery!! -Big Bo Ranch??

Well after 11 points I finally drew my first AZ elk tag and I couldn't ask for a better opportunity with a unit 10 early archery tag!! I have hunted 10 before for deer but only a few times in the Kiabab national forest. My dad shot a bull way back in the day on Mt. Floyd but other than that I feel pretty unfamiliar with the unit. My dad and I are planning on doing a lot of scouting once I finish up my last semester of college in May. We always put our work in and aren't afraid to put miles on the boots and hours behind the glass. My main question is if it is worth purchasing the Big Bo access permit. Im leaning towards it right now due to the fact that the ranch encompasses over half the unit in prime elk country, however, after doing some searching I've also seen some people mention it may not be worth it with the amount of outfitters on it. What are your guys opinion? Also, if anyone is familiar with the unit is there any general areas I should start looking? Im not asking for specific areas and understand if I don't get a response to that question as we all have put the work in to find personal spots and Im not worried that I wont find elk. Just nice having an idea where to start the search. Right now we are planning on checking out the flats south of the 124 and putting some cameras out on our first trip. Thanks in advance for your input!!

Personally I would hit the hills were it goes from pines to scrub oaks just west of williams and north of I-40, Bo is over rated but then again thats me ;)

I could be wrong but I don't believe you will be able to even scout the big bo for your hunt until probably august so scout the country that isn't on the ranch hard until you can access the ranch. If your not finding what your looking for off the ranch then pony up the money for the access to the ranch.

• Like 1

I would do it. You waited 11 years for the tag. Thats like $7 a year for the Bo Permit. Youll spend more on gas in the first morning of scouting then you will on the permit.

• Like 1

I would too.

I like options when everything else is not working.

Why limit yourself to one area, open up a whole new world.

• Like 1

When you have waited this long, $80 is nothing to ensure you are maximizing your opportunity. Would suck big time if that big bull you are chasing crosses the property line as you are getting ready to take your shot, and you didn't pony up the money.

• Like 1

Not having the permit isn't a problem... until you want to access and can't!

Just get it and be happy with your decision. Know you may not need or want to be hunting near the "outfitter turnpikes", but the fringe areas could be huge as well as not having to worry if you do need the extra access.

Why would you cut half of your hunting unit out for a hunt? Especially when there is so much water on the Bo? If this is a dry year, elk will be drawn to water.

• Like 2

yes....was on big bo last year for my daughters deer hunt...without a doubt i would get the pass...seen some great bulls

No big bulls. Barely any elk on the whole place. Avoid at all cost.

Great strategy but too obvious...

• Like 2