Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

Knoll fire

Well the season begins, knoll fire started today around 10am between elison creek and fish hatchery, apparently started by fire works at 100 acers no containment. Please be carefull this weekend. Very very very dry, should be close to fires. Oh ya many fires left unattended this last weekend. Here we go

• Like 1

Hank fire just start by heber also man caused, any bets on how start this week end, scary up here on the hill.

2 yrs ago within a few days of each other I put 2 campfires out that the people just left, everything gone!!

No one around.

Not very bright.

Ya the Knoll fire is right at the turn off to my Grandpa's place. The Sherriff let my parents in, but they don't know if they are going to stay or not. They said it's burning up the Rim but is still super smokey. Said they passed people with 4 fires going in along Control Rd and the 29 Rd. I can't believe they haven't closed the forest yet at least to fires. And how stupid can you be to light off fireworks right now?!

• Like 1

This is the issue, i have yet to understand these idiots who light fireworks in the middle of the forest or desert. We are sitting on a tinderbox up here. From the first major holiday or spring break on all of us who live up here in along the rim are on egg shells. There are more stupid people than one can imagine that come up here or any high country area. One they think some magic bear comes around a picks up their freaking toilet paper or beer cans or broken bottles, water bottles. Its really said how abused the national forest gets. When we literally fill up 3-5 trash bag of garbage after any weekend and major weekends worse from Colcord all the way down to Haigler thats an issue. Not gonna get started on this topic. Anyway saw that fire on way back from rosey around 4 and knew it had to be some idiot again. After all it is a holiday weekend.

• Like 3

Went up fishing today and on the way back around 10:00 they said it was 60 acres and 40% contained and had 100+ fighting the fire. So glad there was almost no wind from the time I arrived at 6AM until I left at 9. I couldn't believe the amount of people heading up to Payson on the Beeline.

I was a wildland firefighter up on the Rim back in the 80's. The same crap everyone is talking about today also happened back then. Nothing has changed.

There's just a group of people that exist that just don't GAF! Selfish with an entitlement attitude to do whatever they want on our public lands

• Like 1

It's as dry as I've seen it in many years. 5A is my reference point, going back 3 decades or so. I was up there last weekend and have never seen it so dry. There were still a few snow patches in the high, shady spots but several tanks that always held spring water were dry. One seep that usually runs all year was already dry.

It's as dry as I've seen it in many years. 5A is my reference point, going back 3 decades or so. I was up there last weekend and have never seen it so dry. There were still a few snow patches in the high, shady spots but several tanks that always held spring water were dry. One seep that usually runs all year was already dry.

Woods Canyon Lake usually has some two foot drifts in the shade this time of year. I saw one spot today that was just inches tall. The drive along the 300 road in the past has always had a lot of standing water and this year one spot near the campgrounds where i have seen about a quarter acre water was bone dry. The lake itself is probably down 15" from last spring and the water is 15' from the retaining wall where usually in the spring it is 4" up the wall and running over the spillway.

Woods Canyon Lake usually has some two foot drifts in the shade this time of year. I saw one spot today that was just inches tall. The drive along the 300 road in the past has always had a lot of standing water and this year one spot near the campgrounds where i have seen about a quarter acre water was bone dry. The lake itself is probably down 15" from last spring and the water is 15' from the retaining wall where usually in the spring it is 4" up the wall and running over the spillway.

post-3883-0-00574300-1522617555_thumb.jpg

There should be mandatory minimum of two years sentence for anyone convicted of starting a forest fire. In addition to the damage of public and private property, not to mention potential risk to human lives, they also usually cost several millions to fight contain and then clean up after. If armed robbers and drunk drivers have to do time, so should these morons.

• Like 3

There should be mandatory minimum of two years sentence for anyone convicted of starting a forest fire. In addition to the damage of public and private property, not to mention potential risk to human lives, they also usually cost several millions to fight contain and then clean up after. If armed robbers and drunk drivers have to do time, so should these morons.

That will never happen... the guy who started Sawmill fire (60k acres)... Forest Service never cited or fined him.