IA Born

Jacob's Javelina Hunting Video: The Mountain Project

I've been waiting for this video since the end of January and it was definitely worth the wait! A friend of ours from The Mountain Project offered to help us on Jacob's first big game hunt, a youth javelina hunt. I posted the original story and pics back in January. During planning, Brittany asked me if she could film it as part of The Mountain Project's hunting season shows. Jacob's hunt is episode 32 of 45 and the previous 31 shows were great, too. Last night, as we watched this for the first time as a family, I was flooded with great memories and pride in my son. I was also full of thankfulness for having a great wife and great friends in The Mountain Project. Jacob was beaming and grinning from ear to ear last night. I watched the video three times last night because I couldn't get enough. In three long weeks, I get to take Jacob on his first turkey hunt and we're super excited for that! And, yes, I got extremely excited at his success. Sorry if I sounded like a dork, but not sorry for being an excited dad!

If you like this video, go to YouTube and subscribe to The Mountain Project (the hunting channel, not the weed channel) and watch more. I know several of you are already following them. They're giving away t-shirts, other gear, and will be giving away a custom rifle at the end of the season!

• Like 9

I love watching "The Mountain Project" films! I watched your son's episode last night and loved it! Congrats to your boy......

• Like 1

I was really inpress d with Jacobs Shooting off of the tripod rest.

Congrats to everyone, looks like a great day!

• Like 1

Very cool. Love that glazed look on his face after the second shot.

What rifle was he shooting?

Thanks! There were so many things about this hunt that impressed me with him. I went over to help him clear and secure his rifle, but he'd already removed the magazine with an empty chamber and closed the bolt on the empty chamber before reinserting his magazine. I didn't catch that until we were at lunch after the hunt and Brittany showed me the footage. I also never really worked with him on quick follow-up shots like that. Those two things were all him!

He shoots a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter compact in 7mm-08. We put a Vais brake on it, handload Barnes 140gr TTSX, and he loves that thing. He has been helping me load for about a year now, and actually did most of those hunting loads himself, with me sitting next to him supervising.

• Like 2

Congratulations!!! Great Video and thanks for sharing!!

Big congratulations to Jacob on his first big game animal and I'm sure there will be more to come. BIG kudos dad on preparing this young man for his first javelina. Jacob did an awesome job and it showed all his training up to this hunt was top notch. Great job to Brittany on her video. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ