Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Jon Boat size for Rim Lakes

Guest akaspecials

We had a church campout right by so we hit Woods Canyon. We caught 6 in 3 hours. All trolling on black rooster tails. That lake has gotten so busy I'm not sure if I'll go back to be honest. Lots of people going the wrong way around the lake, kids on kayaks not paying attention, etc. My dad used to take me there as a kid. We used to catch a lot of fish trolling around. Now with the boat it's time to find some new lakes. Looking at Knoll next.

I was at WCL last Saturday. We were the first boat on the water at 6am. Next boat didn't show up until 7am. We caught 2 limits by 8am and there was still plenty of trailer parking. Same situation in early April when I went up, except on that trip we almost exclusively caught large holdovers. Still a great lake, but I refuse to be on the water after 8 am when everyone starts showing up.

As for Knoll, unless you have a kick butt boat trailer with high clearance, you better be able to carry your boat down the ramp to the water.

I have not fished those lakes in many years but the rebel wee craws were always a good producer. The Green backed one seemed to be the ticket on Woods Canyon.

Guest akaspecials

Trolling power bait on small treble hooks. We start with all lines in the boat at different depths. When the first person catches 2 fish, we all switch to whatever depth they are at.

Trolling the rebels crawdad also works. I can't find a consistent color that they hit though. The rebels seem to yield larger fish for me, but I catch less cause the stockers don't seem to take them as often.