Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Jon Boat size for Rim Lakes

DSE is yours a jon or v hull?

Thanks for the info guys, might be saving me a big headache.

A Jon but would prefer a v hull. The v hulls tend to stay a little straighter when trolling mine is plenty stable but you pretty much have to keep a hand on the motor at all times.

I had the same idea, but wanted the biggest boat I could fit in the back of my truck, a Toyota with a shell.

Got a 12" tracker Jon.

My rule is, check the weather, and avoid any wind over 10MPH.

The last two years, I have put it on Strawberry in Utah with 2 adults.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/76126-strawberry-report-photos/

• Like 1

Boats are like binoculars. You can start cheap but sooner or later you will want more. Probably need at least 2-3 to cover all bases. I have a 12 for small lakes but am looking for a 14 jon.

• Like 1

I would,also say a trailed 12 or 14'. I use my 12 footer on trout lakes and Pleasant just gotta watch the weather on bigger water and use some common sense. 12 good for 2 adults or 2 adults and a small kiddo. Perfect for kid and dad. 👍

I also have 3 motors to try and help make sure i escape incoming monsoons.

post-2359-0-57622000-1523135698_thumb.jpeg

post-2359-0-55194000-1523135721_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Here is a photo of my 12 ft Jon in the back of a Toyota.

Hit a local lake Sunday morning and boated 4 Brown trout 17 to 21 inches, along with a few quality Rainbows.

No decent trout photos because I was fishing solo.

post-8506-0-82800200-1523974242_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for everyones advice. I purchased a 94 Grumman 14 foot v hull boat. Came with the matching trailer, 18hp Evinrude 2 stroke outboard, anchor, new tires and wheels, new gas tank, new siphon/gas line and oil.

Not sure if I'll keep the Evinrude, I have a 55lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor I plan on using. The boats been sitting for 6 years, it's in great shape, just needs a good clean up and going through the motor.

Any recommendations for a full cover? I was thinking about buying a giant tarp to cover the boat and trailer. What material is best?

• Like 1

Thanks for everyones advice. I purchased a 94 Grumman 14 foot v hull boat. Came with the matching trailer, 18hp Evinrude 2 stroke outboard, anchor, new tires and wheels, new gas tank, new siphon/gas line and oil.

Not sure if I'll keep the Evinrude, I have a 55lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor I plan on using. The boats been sitting for 6 years, it's in great shape, just needs a good clean up and going through the motor.

Any recommendations for a full cover? I was thinking about buying a giant tarp to cover the boat and trailer. What material is best?

Pics or it didnt happen 😊

Post some up if you can, Im thinking about buying one as well.

Tractor supply carrys canvas tarps that last great here worth the money. Any pics and what did you pay for such a beaut

Nice job. Dont forget those rim lakes only allow 10hp and under.

We had a church campout right by so we hit Woods Canyon. We caught 6 in 3 hours. All trolling on black rooster tails. That lake has gotten so busy I'm not sure if I'll go back to be honest. Lots of people going the wrong way around the lake, kids on kayaks not paying attention, etc. My dad used to take me there as a kid. We used to catch a lot of fish trolling around. Now with the boat it's time to find some new lakes. Looking at Knoll next.

We had a church campout right by so we hit Woods Canyon. We caught 6 in 3 hours. All trolling on black rooster tails. That lake has gotten so busy I'm not sure if I'll go back to be honest. Lots of people going the wrong way around the lake, kids on kayaks not paying attention, etc. My dad used to take me there as a kid. We used to catch a lot of fish trolling around. Now with the boat it's time to find some new lakes. Looking at Knoll next.

If you want to fish Knoll Lake this year the water is way off the ramp.