Jim Zieler <JZieler@azgfd.gov>

Mar 29 (7 days ago)

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me, Kent

cleardot.gif

Good morning Chris-

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input on the use of trail cameras. I would like to address a couple of comments you made in your email. As far as implementing restrictions without scientific reasoning, let me explain that evaluating the use of trail cameras and other advancing forms of technology as they relate to Fair Chase is a responsibility of the Department and Commission, and one we do not take lightly. This is certainly not a knee-jerk reaction to a non-existent problem and I certainly am not looking for opportunities to implement additional restrictions on outdoorsmen as you stated in your email. I recognize there is some opposition to the rule change on the use of trail cameras but hope you understand this came up as a Fair Chase issue that, due to the advancement and availability of technology, the use of trail cameras to pursue and take wildlife has risen to such a level that it demanded the attention of our Fair Chase Committee. As I stated, we have a responsibility to address these issues as they begin to push the boundaries of what is accepted as Fair Chase. That is how this issue came about. I would strongly encourage you to refer to our website or the section in our hunting regulations called: "Fair Chase: Hunt Hard, Hunt Fair." You will find that there are rules with respect to ethical hunting practices and not giving hunters an unfair advantage. Support of Fair Chase by our sportsmen and the public is important to the survival of hunting and fishing in Arizona.

Thank you again for taking the time.

Jim Zieler, Commissioner

Man that's horribly nasty. Wait. . No it's not. Sounds like he just answered your email sent to him. Seemed pretty usual response they'd send someone that most likely wrote an email accusing them of things like knee jerk reactions and restricting hunters.
  • Like 1

I'm really mixed on this issue. I really enjoy looking at trail cam pictures and have a few of my own. I have never put them on tanks just for fear of having them stolen. I have also never taken any game that was on my camera. They are awesome for when you get really busy, like myself with my kids events, and don't have as much time as you would like to scout.

On the other hand, it sucks going to put some boots on the ground and scouting and having every single tank have 10-12 cameras. And some of them being the ones that send pictures to your phone or computer during the season. I'm sure there are some pissed off outfitters that have bought hundreds of cameras for every tank...

Wow! Just because you didn't like the answer that email is not rude or condescending at all. He didn't even call you a snowflake or a dumbass cracker.

• Like 2

Like I said, divide and conquer. I'm not saying he was rude I'm saying that the G&F ethics committee should not even exist let alone be making new laws for Americans. Maybe some aren't aware of this but trail cameras are not just used by hunters.

• Like 1

This absolutely works to divide and conquer hunters, I'm stunned that so many hunters are coming out in support of additional rules that further restricting our outdoor activities. I emailed commissioner Jim Zieler and got a nasty response about how trail cameras are unethical and that I needed to read the G&F brochure on hunting ethics. If our commissioners way of thinking is that anything they don't like is unethical and needs to be banned then the war has already been lost.

Hey susan you forgot to add he was being racist to you also.

have your balls dropped yet?

Maybe some aren't aware of this but trail cameras are not just used by hunters.

for hunting by hunters they are

I think some of this is coming about because there's some lion hunters using cellular game cams to locate and then track lions with them. If you talk to any dry ground lion hunter worth their salt they'll tell you a 1-6 hour old track is a lot easier for the dogs to trail then a 24-48 hour track. These guys are gaming the system and abusing the lack of any law made for it.

Here I go again. We are mixing things up. Fair chase is one issue. OK, I never bought a cellular or remotely accessed camera, because that is a true violation in the notion of fair chase. So I actually agree with this part of the law.

I do not believe that cams on tanks or within a quarter mile of a water source has given me any advantage at all. I can clear an area of soft dirt when I leave my cam in an area. When I come back to the cam, I look at the tracks in the dirt and know exactly what's on the cam before I pull the card.

Maybe, in some situations, a cam might be used to pattern an animal, but in my circumstances, the only animals I have yet to pattern are foxes. If you are close to their den, you can set your clock by the fox just after nightfall. All the other critters are so random, that there is no way I can predict when any particular animal is going to revisit an area. Not any day, any week or even any month.

I have yet to see a tank with more than one or two cams. I am not saying that the issue doesn't exist, but that issue seems to be specific to certain areas. Could they not address the issue where the problem exists as opposed to some broad reaching law imposed on everybody.

I think this commissioner has his opinions and is like all political people, hoping the people get lost in the muddy waters of his rhetorical B.S.

Anyways, all my cams are now in compliance.

I think some of this is coming about because there's some lion hunters using cellular game cams to locate and then track lions with them. If you talk to any dry ground lion hunter worth their salt they'll tell you a 1-6 hour old track is a lot easier for the dogs to trail then a 24-48 hour track. These guys are gaming the system and abusing the lack of any law made for it.

I'd say that's being innovative.

I'd say that's being innovative.

I've got nothing against innovation but when it starts to take a toll on a resource the game and fish will and have stepped in to take action to conserve that resource.

I have a problem with them trying to regulate "fair chase" like trying to regulate ethics. Where is it going to stop? You can't jump on a quad and race down a forest road to get in front of an elk because that is against "fair chase". You can't shoot animals at 1000 yards because that is against "fair chase". No more using spotting scope and binos because only your unaided eye can be used to find game under "fair chase". Shooting a compound bow over 60 yards is against "fair chase" and ethics.

I mean there are some I won't hunt with anymore because their opinion and mine differ on "fair chase" and ethics. When the government starts to regulate what I consider right and wrong is just a load of horse apples.

• Like 2

The Arizona Game and Fish Department has a tracking collar on a bison at the Raymond Ranch. This tracking collar allows them to eliminate looking for the herd the morning of the Harvest. They also have a feeder on their truck that disperses pellets when they push a button to attract the young calves close so adult stay close so you can shoot them.

How does all that sound for ethics? Lets remember thats also breaking a few of their own laws.