Roughneck91

AZGFD to ban all trail cameras near developed water sources

Come on Mike - we all know the ethical hunting and fair chase rules don't have nothing to do with the way G&F actually works in the field- especially with the buffalo -

ethics - fair chase hasn't happened under the supervision of G&F at Raymond ranch for 20+ yrs .

only applies when they want to make new rules for hunters

do as I say don't worry about what I'm doing!

• Like 1

Here is the scenario that I dont think is fair chase. You put a camera on every water hole within your hunt area. Then the day before the hunt you check your camera line to see which water hole has the best chance for what you are looking for. You go to that water early to beat everybody else, park your truck so others know that it is your spot. Not a sure thing but better odds that increases your chances. Guides are putting out 100's of cameras scanning the whole state.

New technology allows cameras to scan a Coues canyon or hillside, thus doing the hunting for you, it is only a matter of time.

I wonder why do thou protest so much.

The bottom line is do you want hunting to become like science fiction soon to be fact? If technology makes it easier to kill animals then the G&F will have to cut tags to protect the population of animals.

I dont think that this rule will stop the recreational use of cameras, but water holes with too much activity by people will dissuade animals from using them them. I suspect that the FS will do something about that.

In this dry state water is necessary for the animals, give them a little sanctuary.

• Like 1

Here is the scenario that I dont think is fair chase. You put a camera on every water hole within your hunt area. Then the day before the hunt you check your camera line to see which water hole has the best chance for what you are looking for. You go to that water early to beat everybody else, park your truck so others know that it is your spot. Not a sure thing but better odds that increases your chances. Guides are putting out 100's of cameras scanning the whole state.

New technology allows cameras to scan a Coues canyon or hillside, thus doing the hunting for you, it is only a matter of time.

I wonder why do thou protest so much.

The bottom line is do you want hunting to become like science fiction soon to be fact? If technology makes it easier to kill animals then the G&F will have to cut tags to protect the population of animals.

I dont think that this rule will stop the recreational use of cameras, but water holes with too much activity by people will dissuade animals from using them them. I suspect that the FS will do something about that.

In this dry state water is necessary for the animals, give them a little sanctuary.

The guy with 1 camera looking to fill his freezer always has to pay the price for those with hundreds of cameras that want to fill their wallets. This is a sad and true fact. Rather than regulate those abusing the resource we all get punished.

I have some very mixed feelings about this rule.

Cons:

I think it will severly hurt keeping new hunters in the field. It is really easy to convince someone new to keep hunting when you have 1000+ animal photos off one water source. I use this method all the time. Experienced hunters, sorry you should know better and don't need the photo confidence boost, haha.

I personally like to be able to see the max amount of cool animal photos on my cameras and can get 10x more per water source camera during dry spells. It is a lot of fun.

People will illegal bait more and that can spread disease depending on what they are putting out.

Could be a pro or con depending on who you are:

It will help bring back the you never know unkown factor in many units. Many units mature animals get hammered well before they peak. I have a 330+" mule deer shed from a buck never harvested or photographed by a hunter that I know of. This was before trail cameras became big. The area only has man made water sources. With 100% certainty this buck would have been easily killed to fill a governer tag nowdays before that buck made it to 300".

During unit wide game camera surveys almost every animal can get accounted for over massive areas when camera counts are 100+. Last year there was a 173 camera string in one unit. Basically any animal that meet criteria got huge amounts of pressure along with anything else nearby. When that animal moves it just gets picked up on another camera. If you have enough camera runners it is super easy. How do you think people know such and such bull moved 27 miles during last years rut and the exact route prior to getting killed and it is a typical 6x6 that could be like a other bull. Why do you think certian people pay so much for photos of certain classes of animals that no one has seen before in a unit.

Pros:

I don't have to hear people cry as much about camera theft.

I don't have to hear people lie about what is at such and such water source based on their camera surveillance. Although I have seen them at the same area weekly.

Maybe I will not have guys checking cards at a water source all super loud all the time and taking 45 minutes to do it. SD cards are cheap and easy to swap, so weird.

Protesteth too much? That's funny. Maybe. I don't think it makes me a bad guy when I feel like Christmas morning everytime I pull cards.

I do not think it gives me any advantage, but I hear some of your points and think if a guy ran that many cams, then it could be very helpful and completely ridiculous.

Anyways, I will comply and keep my cams away from the water sources.

I will tell you the biggest advantage I have over other hunters, if any at all, is the fact I live in Chino Valley. HA, ha!